Support VWWC

Thread: MK4 2.0 Oil Pressure Low?

Users Country Flag

MK4 2.0 Oil Pressure Low?

Hi all,

The patient is my 2004 MK4 Golf 2.0 APK engine with 137k's.

I have been getting an intermittent "STOP- Low Oil Pressure" warning. It usually goes away before I even get a chance to pull off the road.

I know the oil pressure switch on these can be problematic so that was my first suspicion. But just in case I hooked up my trusty old Ryco oil pressure gauge and got the following readings;

- Approx 50psi on start up
    - Drop to approx 20psi once warmed up
    - Occasionally drops as low as 10psi after long period of idle
    - Rises back up over 50psi when revved over 200rpm

Before anyone menions it, the engine has maximum oil level (5w-30), pulls nicely, no out of the ordinary noises and is otherwise running great.

I can't seem to find the factory min oil pressure specs for this engine. Anyone have these? And anyone think I am actually dealing with a low oil pressure issue here rather than just a faulty switch? Opinions welcome.

Thanks

Axeman74

MK4 2.0 Oil Pressure Low?-img_6793-jpgMK4 2.0 Oil Pressure Low?-img_6795-jpg
    Last edited by axeman74; 03-07-2020 at 08:55 AM.

Users Country Flag
    I know the Mk5/Mk6 are known for getting a clogged oil pickup in the sump - perhaps the Mk4 also has this issue?

Otherwise, sounds like you have an oil pump issue.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Approx 5m 30seconds you can see the clogged oil pickup.

2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks, was hoping to avoid pulling the sump but looks like I may have to do it for peace of mind. Though judging by all the RTV oozing around the pan/block surface looks like someone else might have been in already. Wonder if some of the excess has made its way onto the pickup strainer.

Axeman74

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by axeman74 View Post
    Thanks, was hoping to avoid pulling the sump but looks like I may have to do it for peace of mind. Though judging by all the RTV oozing around the pan/block surface looks like someone else might have been in already. Wonder if some of the excess has made its way onto the pickup strainer.

Axeman74
    This happens quite commonly as most people use far too much sealant then it falls off into the oil and blocks the oil pickup. Should be a relatively easy job - just a bit messy. Have some sheets of cardboard around to help avoid dripping oil onto your driveway.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

I had a number of issues with it when cornering a certain way it would tip the oil away from the pickup.
    However if you are max oil I doubt that is the problem. mine was usually when low.
    Check cleaning the pickup as mentioned previously. People regularly crack the pans (I still don't know how) and can damage the pickup too in the process

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks, about to do a major service on it so seems a pan drop is in order. Hopefully it is just blocked. Thinking of also going up one grade of oil, maybe 5-40 or 10-40 as I think 5-30 may be a bit thin for these engines (despite being factory grade).

Axeman74