Thread: Looking at V6 4-Motion Boras, couple of questions

Users Country Flag

Looking at V6 4-Motion Boras, couple of questions

So after the unfortunate demise of my old VR6 at the hand of the insurers I have found myself looking at a new car and the bora seems to be ticking most of the boxes, just have a couple of questions.

Looking at a fair few at different Km's having a hard time trying to track down kilometer mark for when the timing chains and clutch should have been changed

Also I am aware of the common problem with the door locks, is there anything else that is a fairly common problem I should be looking for?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by stabbsy View Post
    So after the unfortunate demise of my old VR6 at the hand of the insurers I have found myself looking at a new car and the bora seems to be ticking most of the boxes, just have a couple of questions.

Looking at a fair few at different Km's having a hard time trying to track down kilometer mark for when the timing chains and clutch should have been changed

Also I am aware of the common problem with the door locks, is there anything else that is a fairly common problem I should be looking for?
    Coolant temp sensors, make the car do horrible things, I'm quite sure the factory one is green and the modded part they fit is black, or vicea versa, thats all I really know of other than the door locks.

Timing chains don't have a set interval, people just mostly change then if/when they get noisy or skip teeth etc (very rare).

Clutches no real defiant answer, depends how the cars been driven etc etc...

If the idle is up and down.run!!!!!

could be expensive like exhuast sensors, Maf, coils.
    If you drive it and do full lock turns both directions and you hear any weird noises from the back run fast!
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by gringo_54_oval View Post
    If the idle is up and down.run!!!!!

could be expensive like exhuast sensors, Maf, coils.
    If you drive it and do full lock turns both directions and you hear any weird noises from the back run fast!
    good luck
    These noises = $$$$$$$$$$$ and lots of it...
    make sure you ask about haldex servicing. should be every 20-25 thou.

Users Country Flag
    The Haldex service also needs the filter changed not just fluid; other mechanical issues -the cooling fans (resistor failure) - can fix or replace completely; would recommend all engine cooling/vacuum pipes replaced; suspension wise the control arm bushes -these were too soft; baffles in the rear resonator box also an item that eventually will need replacing. Otherwise incl the above posts,no major issues - I am still enjoying mine after 12yrs.
    2001 Bora 4Motion from new, upgraded Haldex controller, Bilsteins, Milltek

2014 Golf 90TSi, Comfortline, manual

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the help guys, all good advice. Off to look at some cars tomorrow, this should come in handy

Users Country Flag

Looking at V6 4-Motion Boras, couple of questions

Someone was selling a mint bora not long ago in the cars for sale section the vehicle was in Brisbane. That's the kind of car you would be looking for if buying one.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Went and had a look, was a great car with a full VW dealer service history and the price was right so I jumped on it. Pretty happy to be a member of the 4 mo bora owners club!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stabbsy View Post
    Went and had a look, was a great car with a full VW dealer service history and the price was right so I jumped on it. Pretty happy to be a member of the 4 mo bora owners club!
    awesome ! post up some pics !
    VW BORA 2003 V6 4Motion
    Volkswagen Golf MK3 1997 CL 1.8L

Rammstien + Autobahn + Volkswagen = Leben !