Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A long time coming, Rob's 4motion turbo build!

Wink A long time coming, Rob's 4motion turbo build!

Well i suppose with my occasional posts in the "what have you done thread" i've created enough interest to now warrent making my own thread!

The story goes right back to when i bought the bora in late 07. Prior to actually buying the car i researched the viability of a turbo conversion as having owned several modified cars prior i was looking for something with the Euro luxury feel but something that had potential should i get the itch for power again.

The following year i nearly boosted it, collecting a vast array of parts required only stopping once i found ECU tuning to be a big restriction. Giving up on that for the time i bought a R32 GTR, modified that, raced it a few times, blew it up, fixed it and eventually sold it.

Fast forward to now, the itch for boost is back and the build has begun!

The build list has grown... a lot since i originally decided to build the car, however I've decided to go on the build it once, build it right principal. The ECU is being tuned by C2 motorsports with a 500whp tune, although in honesty i cant see myself running much more than 400hp to keep things safe

Garrett GT3076R dual ball bearing turbo
    Cast iron Manifold same as the style with CTS turbo kits (modified for 2x 02 sensors)
    38mm Wastegate
    600x200 (i think) front mounted intercooler
    2.5" alloy cooler piping (manufac by me)
    Walbro 255LPH fuel pump
    MK IV R32 front brakes
    C2 stage 3 fueling kit incorporating:
    630cc fuel injectors
    C2 maf housing
    C2 intake pipe and filter
    C2 head spacer to lower compression to 9:1
    C2 Quick Flow Intake
    3" mandrel exhaust from turbo back (made by me)
    3" high flow metal core cat
    Exhaust will however join to existing 2.5" mandrel system post cat converter, depending on how restrictive it is i may increase it to a full 3" system (will be increased to 3" due to restriction)
    Recirc BOV
    ARP headstuds and connecting rod bolts
    Stage 3+ SPEC Clutch
    SPEC lightweight steel flywheel
    Mocal Oil Cooler + Thermostatic sandwich plate
    Super Pro Race Polyurethane Dogbone bushings
    Mix of ECS poly / R32 control arm bushings

Of course there's lots of other anciliary bits such as coolant lines, oil feed and return lines etc but i think they go without saying!

As I've always been good with my hands and pretty cluey with welding / fabrication / mechanics i've also decided to undertake all the work myself (a blessing as far as costs concerned). All the fabrication aside from the C2 Quickflow intake will be produced by myself, and to aid myself in that respect i added to my arsenal an AC DC tig welder and a couple other tools.

I'm not expecting it to be the easiest road ahead but i'm determined and have a quite a bit of experience with working on cars (lots of practice on the import's i've owned) At this point in time i project the finishing time around 1-2 months as i'll be fitting it in around working a graveyard shift hospitality / office job and renovating a house, so no rush but eventually it will be running *touches wood*

So far i've already gotten a start on the work and will be updating this thread shortly with what i've done so far and i'll try to keep it up to date as work progresses!

Let the adventure begin
    Last edited by WhO; 22-04-2011 at 12:29 AM.

Users Country Flag
    wow nice job man looking forward to photos in the making
    are you upgrading anything to the driveline gearbox, cvs etc...
    somethings bound break with that sort of power

Ok First progress post.

First thing i decided to start tackling was the fitting of the Front Mount and fabrication of some of the lower pipes. The Bora makes for quite a tight fit and as one of my goals for the build is to NOT cut any metal on the car it was made that much harder. Unfortunately as with most intercooler installs i did have to resort to a slight trimming of the reo bar, however when i say slight i mean <4mm or so, so acceptable in my eyes.

To get the cooler pipes to fit snugly behind the bar i had to chop the piping outlets off the cooler and weld bends directly to the cooler, however this combined with some light triming of some plastic allowed me to fit the cooler nice and snugly. My goal here is to make the cooler fit cleanly into the airflow through the lower grill however keep it well hidden. Eventually it will be sprayed black for a complete stealth setup.

Cooler fitted

Piping started

Bar fitted

Unlike how many of the guys from the US run the hot side cooler pipe (along the chassis rail then up by the firewall) i've decided to relocate the washer bottle thus bring the piping up the front drivers corner behind the headlight. I'll sort the washer bottle out later but reckon i'll just modify it to fit in behind the front bar. Pics of this will come when i get to it.

Since beginning i've also removed the standard plastic intake manifold and exhaust back to just behind the cat. I've got to say at this point, getting the exhaust out is a bit of a pain in the A$$. This aside from the fact the bolts are a pain to get undone is also because the prop shaft makes it impossible to remove the primary's. Thus to remove them you need to undo the prop shaft from the transmission and then rotate the engine (dogbone undone) away from the propshaft so you can then disconnect it and push it off to the side.

My feelings towards the exhaust and its difficulty to remove it

There one second

Gone the next

However now that all that's off it's given me a much nicer idea of how much room i've got to play with and how everything will sit. As you can see here, there's plenty of room for the turbo, wastegate and manifold and the standard heat shield can even be made to fit... lovely Note that the manifold and turbo was only put on to test spacing as i'm still waiting on my head spacer prior to actually starting to mount it up for good.

Oh hai thar

And hidden by the heat shield (although the turbo outlet will be rotated to face upwards

Whils the car's been off the road i've also taken the opportunity to refresh the bushings in the front end and also change all 4 cv boots. This way i know its all in good condition (and also because the old stuff was pretty worn!)

At this point i'm going to continue working on the intercooler setup and once it gets hear i'll install the head spacer, get things mounted up and get some more fabrication happening!

How its siting now

Stay tuned!
    Last edited by WhO; 09-12-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mk3pete View Post
    wow nice job man looking forward to photos in the making
    are you upgrading anything to the driveline gearbox, cvs etc...
    somethings bound break with that sort of power
    At this stage, no. I'm not an abusive driver aka smashing through gears / launching etc and i've been lead to believe from the guys in the US that the drivetrain is good for around 500hp. I have opted for a full face carbon ceramic clutch instead of a button clutch so i've got something thats a bit nicer to drive with, but i think for now if i break something driveline wise, gearbox, cv's etc i'll attend to it when it happens!

Users Country Flag
    Nice
    Finally some people are starting to get a bit adventurous in Australia.
    Any more details on the turbo specs?

PERFORMANCE, STYLING AND OEM PRODUCTS FOR YOUR VW

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

Garrett GT3076, .6 a/r surge slotted compressor cover, .82 a/r exhaust housing. Maybe a bit small on the upper end but 400hp is the daily streetable goal which should be well within range
    Last edited by WhO; 09-12-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Jesus christ, i have almost 280HP running through my 4Mo and i thought it was brutal.
    400-500 would be lightning fast in a Bora.

What a sleeaper too, almost all of the ones i see are driven by grannies/grandpas at the shopping centres.

Users Country Flag
    Nice read mate hope it all goes this smoothly

sweeet, few guys been talking about turboing one on this forum, itll be a race to see whos first!! good luck!

Users Country Flag

yup, i was hoping to be the first BoraT in Oz but alas, my work ethic and wallet stopped me

congrats Who, i hope you nail it first time too. You and I have chatted heaps about it and the good thing is our builds will be different.
    MY02 Bora V6 4Mo|Matte Black plastidip|VTDA|R32 Exhaust|R32 dampers and springs|TT pedals|R32 steering wheel|17" 8L S3 rims|R32 sways|Blue Haldex|EBC reds

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast