Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A long time coming, Rob's 4motion turbo build!

My goal here is to make the cooler fit cleanly into the airflow through the lower grill however keep it well hidden. Eventually it will be sprayed black for a complete stealth setup.
    Great idea! I used to like the brightwork of an intercooler a few years back but I think that I must have gotten to having a wisened head and I like the black of an air intake, probably because I've had a bit more automotive design experience. It also looks more aggressive in black, not like a grinning buck-tooth Mater out of "Cars"

Thread is now subscribed to, good luck with the build mate!

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

awesome, will be watching this with interest!

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Congrats mate, top work on knocking the piping up yourself. Will be watching with interest

Users Country Flag
    WOW! That's what I'm talkin about! Did you source locally or OS? I'm wanting to do the same but hard to find others who had or are doing a turbo build. I take it the house is on hold?
    2002 Bora 4mo sport

Users Country Flag
    will be great to see this come to fruition, but annoying now that I dont have a bora anymore! haha

Black pipework and FMIC ftw!

Would recommend going for a different set of brakes than the R32's unless you pick them up really cheap 2nd hand.
    Current: '04 Astra SRI Turbo - EDS IPF Flash, 3" TBE, Quaife LSD
    Previously: Bora 4mo, cams, coilovers, tune, exhaust, brembo's etc

Quote Originally Posted by Dyldo View Post
    yup, i was hoping to be the first BoraT in Oz but alas, my work ethic and wallet stopped me

congrats Who, i hope you nail it first time too. You and I have chatted heaps about it and the good thing is our builds will be different.
    You and me two haha, at least i can still be the first in WA i hope. I should talk to you two on how you planned and came up with what parts you needed. How much you guys looking to spend well whats the budget. Thats all thats stopping me at the moment is the dosh. Other than that looking good Wh0

2001 Turbo! 4mo Bora 'Boring' | Carbinaro CAI | Fixing broken stuff | Sorting the Turbo Goodness! | BBS Lm's 18x8.5 | KW V2's | 4 pot Brembo's

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Back Door Shenanigans. View Post
    You and me two haha, at least i can still be the first in WA i hope. I should talk to you two on how you planned and came up with what parts you needed. How much you guys looking to spend well whats the budget. Thats all thats stopping me at the moment is the dosh. Other than that looking good Wh0
    I've dropped you a PM. send me your email and i'll send you back my build spreadsheet with costs, parts, etc and a build plan. Mine's different to a few guys i've spoken to, which is awesome cause we should have a whack fleet of BoraTs.
    MY02 Bora V6 4Mo|Matte Black plastidip|VTDA|R32 Exhaust|R32 dampers and springs|TT pedals|R32 steering wheel|17" 8L S3 rims|R32 sways|Blue Haldex|EBC reds

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf1983 View Post
    Would recommend going for a different set of brakes than the R32's unless you pick them up really cheap 2nd hand.
    Already got a set at a pretty reasonable price so i'll see how they go!

Quote Originally Posted by poozey View Post
    WOW! That's what I'm talkin about! Did you source locally or OS? I'm wanting to do the same but hard to find others who had or are doing a turbo build. I take it the house is on hold?
    A large component of the items i'm getting are being sourced from OS, both because of price and availability considerations. House is not on hold but progress is slower lol

Quote Originally Posted by Back Door Shenanigans. View Post
    Let me know if you want a breakdown of my costing too, just be warned whatever you think it'll cost, take that figure and add lots to it.

Got bored at work tonight so decided i'd do the maths and figure out how well a GT3076R will actually work with a VR6.

The three lines show the turbo's operation through 3200rpm-7000rpm at different levels of boost calculated according to desired crank hp.

Note figures are approximate however all looks pretty good to me, You can see that at 500hp at ~ 22-23psi @ 7000rpm the turbo will be slightly past the choke line not ideal but only just. At the bottom end around 3200rpm (peak torque on a n/a 24v vr6) the turbo is just past the surge line, not really a problem in this instance though as there's no way the compressor is too big! Although its probably a bit out of the ideal range for efficiency its not too bad and still acceptable.

@ 450hp ~ 19.5psi the turbo's sitting pretty with the line nearly smack bang in the peak efficiency range and @ 400hp ~ 16psi the turbo is pretty much at peak efficiency. Good considering my base line boost will be 15-16psi with me running up to 22 for when i feel the need for speed!

All the hp numbers are crank figures so can be expected to be less at the wheels and as with all things they are really only estimates thus i wouldn't be surprised if real world figures varied greatly, who knows, maybe even up to 20%. Only time will tell! At least by punching out these rough numbers i've been able to satisfy myself that my turbo choice for what i'm after is pretty much ideal
    Last edited by WhO; 11-12-2010 at 02:40 AM.

Users Country Flag

Subscribed. So many good projects in aus that are only coming out NOW! keep up the good work champ!

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast