Support VWWC

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: limiter rpm range

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    15
    Users Country Flag

    limiter rpm range

    Hi guys just wondering what the average rpm range is for a mk4 limiter or what you guys seem to get ? does this vary depending on the model of the car ? im obviously talking about stock, no tuning mine seems to limit at 5k rpm either that or its just a flat spot and ill need to check my sensors and stuff out. Pretty stupid question cos who hits the limiter when driving daily haha but just knowing that something might not be right plays on my mind haha
    Cheers Josh

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    1,185
    Users Country Flag
    Which engine? I 'may' bounce off my limiter from time to time but I think mine has been raised to around 7.5k rpm. Stock you should be able to rev to at least 6.5k on any of the mk4 petrol engines. I think you may have an issue. If it's an auto I think they have a 'soft' limiter when in neutral, not sure what rpm that is though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bairnsdale & Ferntree Gully, Victoria
    Posts
    7,422
    red line on my 2lt is at 6.5k from memory, goes all the way around to that (only done it once or twice)
    There is no power up that end though so no point visiting it

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    15
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lito View Post
    Which engine? I 'may' bounce off my limiter from time to time but I think mine has been raised to around 7.5k rpm. Stock you should be able to rev to at least 6.5k on any of the mk4 petrol engines. I think you may have an issue. If it's an auto I think they have a 'soft' limiter when in neutral, not sure what rpm that is though.
    i have a 1.6l manual doesn't even approach the red lines before 'limits' for me, it doesn't seem to bounce like it does for every other car just feels like a flat spot to me

    any ideas on what i should look at?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    15
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan8 View Post
    red line on my 2lt is at 6.5k from memory, goes all the way around to that (only done it once or twice)
    There is no power up that end though so no point visiting it
    yeah same here only done it a once or twice seeing what the car is capable of haha

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bairnsdale & Ferntree Gully, Victoria
    Posts
    7,422
    Quote Originally Posted by g0ose View Post
    i have a 1.6l manual doesn't even approach the red lines before 'limits' for me, it doesn't seem to bounce like it does for every other car just feels like a flat spot to me

    any ideas on what i should look at?
    not just reaching peak power? what fuel?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    15
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan8 View Post
    not just reaching peak power? what fuel?
    usually run premium (95) but doesnt seem to change a whole heap with standard (91).
    What do you guys run on?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seaforth, NSW
    Posts
    788

    I run 98 and the car revs all the way out to redline (6.5k) but there's no point taking it near there just because there's no power up there
    2014 Golf GTI PP - Pure White

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
| |