Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: high idle-faulty throttle body

high idle-faulty throttle body

hey,

recently on a few seperate occations, i've had my engine idle higher than normal (at around 1400) just randomly even though the engine is already heated up to its optimal operating temperature after 20mins or so of driving. the only way i found to fix the problem was to restart the car at the lights! the accelerator pedal does not seem to be stuck. i've got an 2004 gti (stock). anyone else had this happen to them?

*i know when warming up the engine revs higher (1200) for a few minutes then returns to the normal idle speed of about 800.

at my last service i informed the dealer about the problem and they "carried out basic settings & throttle body clean and checked engine management data". it seemed to have solved the problem but now 3 months after that i'm getting the same problem. any idea what could be wrong?

also another related question. at 4 degrees or cooler when the "snowflake" indicator comes on, does the car automatically rev higher when idle at about 1100 or does it just operate as per normal?

any advice would be appreciated! thanks!

erm not to sure if its this or not..
    but i had the same problem where my car was idling at 2 thousand revs. and it was just in need of a new battery. it was creating power surges. and just making it genually rev over 2 thousand revs...
    ohwell possibly could be it.. i donno.
    holden s ute 2002

but i still love the VW WATERCOOLED CLUB

gpk_gti Guest
    sounds odd,no aircon on?? did the dealer say there was any fault codes? could be a maf failure? mine was going to stall not rev higher,but those dam things could cause anything!
    I dont have the snowflake,,I might but it hasnt come on yet.doubt that would be your problem.my car idles higher for only 1 min or less then goes to normal.

Users Country Flag
    http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newf...ead.php?t=5681

The search button is your friend...

Glenn
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

thanks ben & gpk, yeah a/c wasn't on... battery sounds like a possibility as i'm probably due for a new one soon. will bring the car in sometime next week and see what they say.

oh and special mention must go to glenn (ope126) for introducing me to his friend, the search button. just in case you missed it i did mention that this issue is not that of the engine idling higher from a cold start as discussed in the thread you found. you should meet my friend... he's an optometrist.

Users Country Flag
    Try cleaning the MAF (in the intake) with contact cleaner as sometimes this can be fouled over time and give incorrect readings resulting in idle differences, I had this in my MKIV once upon a time.
    2015 Multivan Highline
    1969 Sunbeam Imp Sport 930cc

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by silverdovegti View Post
    thanks ben & gpk, yeah a/c wasn't on... battery sounds like a possibility as i'm probably due for a new one soon. will bring the car in sometime next week and see what they say.

oh and special mention must go to glenn (ope126) for introducing me to his friend, the search button. just in case you missed it i did mention that this issue is not that of the engine idling higher from a cold start as discussed in the thread you found. you should meet my friend... he's an optometrist.
    Just today I have noticed that at nomal operating temperaure that the idle speed remains quite high (1200 - 1400rpm) for about 5sec, then drops to 900rpm. (say stoping at the traffic lights)

Is this something to do with the Throttle Body Alignment Fault Code?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Mate, the above is an extract from my post. I never once mentioned a "Cold Start" that was never the problem. Here I am trying to give you some helpful advice, maybe you should be contacting OPSM yourself!

Anyway, no hard feeling...
    Welcome to the site!!!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    Also, a mate of mine with an 04' GTI has also experienced similar problems. He was told that it was a faulty Throttle Body, this was also effecting his cruise control. Are you having problems with your cruise control also?

gpk_gti Guest
    haha,,good one guys..try the maf clean as mikinoz suggested,but it doesnt work iv seen on the net and been told by numerous mechs.I did try it myself but did not help.remember to dry with cold air,,as in blow dryer or compressor. as for the throttle body,there is a set of reset codes that the VAGCOM can do to check that all is fine..I doubt it could be your battery as usually your revs will start to drop,no??

gpk_gti Guest

Quote Originally Posted by silverdovegti View Post

at my last service i informed the dealer about the problem and they "carried out basic settings & throttle body clean and checked engine management data". it seemed to have solved the problem but now 3 months after that i'm getting the same problem. any idea what could be wrong?

!
    hmmm,just rereading your original post.sounds like it is associated with the throttle body.bad fuel maybe has left residue in the body somewhere? def id be doing a reset before checking anywhere else.where are you located exactly?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast