Support VWWC

Thread: 2001 1J1 1.6 sloppy manual shifter

Users Country Flag

2001 1J1 1.6 sloppy manual shifter

Hi,

I am trying to help my eldest tighten up his shifter in his mk4 2001 1J1 1.6 golf, He recently picked it up and it came with the sloppy gearbox. I have put a bush kit through a Ford laser before and thought it might be similar ... It isn't

We have the car up on axel stands at the moment and have removed the exhaust heat shield so we can see the gear stick linkage through the gearbox at the front. Here are a couple of pics.

The first is the shifter connecting to the linkage, this has some play in it, and I don't know if it is normal and should have a washer or bush where the gearstick connects to the linkage?

2001 1J1 1.6 sloppy manual shifter-screenshot-2024-01-01-170026-png

The second looks like a dog's breakfast and the picture doesn't do it justice (In the third photo I have numbered two items and I'll refer to them here). The part at the bottom of the circled area in the photo is 1 and that has some silicone or similar product packed around it, I am guessing it was molded off the part and then slid over the top. The molded silicone is packed into 2 and that part has a lot of play in it. I would be surprised if it wasn't responsible for the issues.

2001 1J1 1.6 sloppy manual shifter-screenshot-2024-01-01-170113-jpg

Below is a gear lever repair kit however it doesn't include any bushes and I am not sure if 2 simply sits over 1 and is machined to a high specification so it sits together snugly, and no bush is required?

2001 1J1 1.6 sloppy manual shifter-screenshot-2024-01-01-171704-png

Is anyone able to offer any advice on what would be required here?

If you need any more info or a better picture let me know and I will sort it out.

Cheers.

Users Country Flag
    hello mate, and welcome.

I'm not familar with the 1.6 shifter towers, but I did have similar issues with my 02M 6pd shifter.

I ordered a new bushing kit through dieselgeek.com. They're still available but it's pricey to get them delivered from US.

I'd suggest getting in touch with Sebastian @ EuroRevolution and confirming with him if the below bushing kit would be suitable for your vehicle. Link below

Complete shifter bushings kit - Euro Revolution
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch

Users Country Flag
    I replaced only the gear stick bushing - made a big difference.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I'll get in touch with Sebastian and see if he has the kit for the shifter on this one, I had seen the dieselgeek video and it looked easy until I took the boot off this shifter and saw it was different version. Everything happens underneath the car / in the engine bay. In the interior under the shifter boot all I have is this:
    2001 1J1 1.6 sloppy manual shifter-screenshot-2024-01-05-132854-png