Thread: GTi not starting problems, does crank

GTi not starting problems, does crank

Hi all, 99 GTi 1.8T AGU
    Yesterday I installed a Diverter Valve because when bought the car it didn’t have one (crazy I know). It has a fmic and cold air induction with silicone intake.
    I recently have replaced the valve cover gasket as I was getting oil on the spark plug wells but didn’t start it till I had the DV installed.
    Sooooo, took it for a short test run and only got to second gear when the engine lost power and died on me. When I changed from 1st to second it made a backfire type sound but I don’t think it was a backfire (not as loud).
    I towed it back into my garage but still can’t get it started (does turn over). I have also recently replaced the following: crank angle sensor, coolant temp sensor, ignition amplifier, spark plugs.

Any help is appreciated

Ground or wiring issue from removing the valve cover?

Does it have fuel? Does it have spark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll clean up the ground and see if that helps... yes has spark but will check the fuel pump relay also

From what you have said. It kinda sounds like the fuel to air might be too lean. Have you made any mods to the ECU settings ?

No ECU mods that I’m aware of, I’ve only had the car for a few months. I find it really strange that adding in the diverter valve is the only real change and the gear shift made it die

Users Country Flag

Ok, so it was running rich so checked all of the intercooler pipes and found one had come loose. Thanks for all of the replies, it’s now running great.