Support VWWC

Thread: Getting into Mk4 with flat battery

Users Country Flag

Getting into Mk4 with flat battery

Edit - Nm, the battery must have had just enough juice to slowly open the locks while i was jacking it up. Tried them one last time after jacking it up and they opened.

Hi folks,
    Got a Mk4 I havent driven for a while due to an issue. Went out to charge the battery today so I can take it to get fixed tomorrow and the doors wont open. Key turns lock and raises knob but doors still locked.

After googling I found out that you need power to open the doors even with the key, but my battery is completely flat.

So does anyone have any tricks to open the hood? I have an aftermarket grill that I can fit a screwdriver thru to the hood latch but I don't know if that will help.

Alternatively where can I put a 12v lead onto from under the car?

Absolutely any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks.
    Last edited by fishburgr; 17-11-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Pretty sure mine locks/unlocks without a battery.
    What year is yours?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by fishburgr View Post
    you need power to open the doors even with the key
    Well there you go, I learned something new today. I'm glad you got in in the end.

Here is one other solution giving you a way to feed 12V into the car from the outside:
    YouTube

In case the video isn't working at some point in the future, the short version is that you jack the car up, remove the dust tray and run 12V into the permanently live connection on the starter motor in order to get the doors open, then open the bonnet to charge or replace the dead battery.

For those thinking ahead and looking for another option, grab yourself a CTEK charger, I have the MXS 5.0 and highly recommend it.
    MXS 5.0

Then install the "Connect Eyelet M6" into a place which is accessible from outside the car (like in the rain tray or front grill):
    CONNECT EYELET M6

Then it's dead simple to charge your car battery while it's locked AND you get the protection of knowing if it's ever flat access to feed it 12V is always there.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by dylan8 View Post
    Pretty sure mine locks/unlocks without a battery.
    What year is yours?
    Mines 2001. If yours is a mk4 it will be the same. They have no mechanical linkage for the locks and rely solely on electrical connections. Mind you the battery has to be really dead. It may not be able to start but will still have enough power to unlock the doors in most cases where you've left your lights on for the night.

I'm not sure about the boot lock but my key wouldnt open that either but it seemes like it was maybe broken.

The_Hawk - The connection to the starter motor was the method I was just about to use when I tried the doors one last time in frustration. On research I also read suggestions of if you can pop your side lights out they should be a permanent 12v connection and would work also.

Such a strange design, I cant workout what the advantage is. Maybe just cost saving.