Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Exhaust smell, down on power...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    I don't think there's any version of loctite that will work on an exhaust manifold, even ultra high temp is only like 350c.
    You could use lockwire or locking bolts they're a pain though. I don't get how the ninja star works, seems like it'd just be a fancy washer. That bolt closest to the block is the worst to get to even under the best circumstances.
    Tbh I just finished pulling off the charge pipe and testing the bolts, they are not loose at all, easily exceed the torque requirements.

I honestly have no idea... All I'm thinking of doing is replacing all the gaskets associated with turbo and exhaust manifold....

Maybe I wait until the subframe is dropped out for all of them as I don't know how anyone has room to get to the exhaust manifold bolts...
    Last edited by Sirocco20348; 20-05-2018 at 10:53 PM.

maybe, get one of those household carbon monoxide sensors? If you've got exhaust leaking out that should pick it up.

something like this New Carbon Monoxide Meter with CO Gas Tester Monitor Detector Gauge 1000ppm I9N2 714424467812 | eBay
    Last edited by jmcc; 21-05-2018 at 01:35 PM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    maybe, get one of those household carbon monoxide sensors? If you've got exhaust leaking out that should pick it up.

something like this New Carbon Monoxide Meter with CO Gas Tester Monitor Detector Gauge 1000ppm I9N2 714424467812 | eBay
    This looks pretty cool.. I might buy one to see if it's accurate. Would be good if it came with an extendable neck...

I have bought seafoam as a test, apparently billows snow from exhaust leaks..

I'm thinking the turbo and manifold needs to be removed and inspected very carefully for problems...
    Last edited by Sirocco20348; 23-05-2018 at 06:01 PM.

Farout I'm almost over owning this car... Replaced turbo to manifold gasket. Old gasket was fine and the bolts were tight.

That strong exhaust smell is still present at WOT.. maxing out at 15psi. Very unimpressive for stage 2.

I'm thinking of replacing the brake booster line as it's been patched up over time.

Apart from that I'm not sure... Heaps of threads on the internet with mystery boost leak problems.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    What about manifold to cylinder head?
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    What about manifold to cylinder head?
    Haha possibly. I think I'll do a seafoam smoke test first as this is on the realm of my abilities.

I'm thinking exhaust to cylinder head gasket would require some serious Labour? Turbo removal etc?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Exhaust smell, down on power...-vagcom_results-jpg  
    Last edited by Sirocco20348; 14-07-2018 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Not relevant

Users Country Flag
    Where is the cat in your downpipe? Had a Polo recently that was going well and then wouldn't make boost. Messed around looking for leaks. Last ditch guess and I found the cat had broken down and was blocking the exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Where is the cat in your downpipe? Had a Polo recently that was going well and then wouldn't make boost. Messed around looking for leaks. Last ditch guess and I found the cat had broken down and was blocking the exhaust.
    Drive SPM | MK4 GTI Downpipe Street Kit

Mine is a separate section that looks like it could be easily inspected.

What other symptoms was the polo showing? Strong exhaust smells when driving?

I had a night to think about this and I think you might be 100% on point.

Gav, so the cat was Broken down but stayed within the cat housing? Our did it flow further down the exhaust?

I also have this insane metallic rattle at like 2800rpm. If I hold out at this rpm, sounds like a hammer drill drilling into concrete. This only started after my exhaust was secured into place.

And snapping those photos, we only have a pre cat 02 sensor, so if the cat was stuffed we wouldn't pull any codes with vagcom, correct?

Damn I'm getting excited

Last edited by Sirocco20348; 08-07-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast