Support VWWC

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Emad's MK4 GTI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by beale187 View Post
    Love the rear conversion Emad, the 256mm disc look so puny under 18's. How'd you go with the carriers? Shim them? or source V6 ones?

Did you have to adjust / relocate the handbrake cable?
    The passenger side I had used a 2mm washer on the bottom side of the carrier adapter. Without this shim the rotor would hit the caliper carrier. Weirdly enough the other side did not need this? I'm still very confused but once I drive the car I'll see if the rear brakes work as intended

Regarding the handbrake cable, it can't be run through the grommet hole as normal as it's too short. It works fine so far but I'll be looking into a longer cable just for a peace of mind. Not sure what options are out there though. Not the best photo but you can see it below.
    Emad's MK4 GTI-img-7940-jpg

The car is finally on its feet after nearly 5 months of it being on jack stands. There's still plenty of small stuff to do before I get some seat time and definitely looks like I need an alignment.
    Emad's MK4 GTI-tvuonf7-jpg
    Emad's MK4 GTI-dy9jcld-jpg

Not too happy with the rear fitment, I was expecting a bit more out of the shims but we'll see what I've gained once I get an alignment sheet.

Users Country Flag
    I know why the tensioner and belt failed, the installation was incorrect, I did the same, the tensioner can be installed before and after the bracket, I think it needs to be under the bracket to ensure it is alligned!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ybkopa View Post
    Haven't updated the thread in a while so thought I'd make a post. Haven't done much other than buy more parts but not install them as I normally do. It's no longer a daily car so it spends most of its time on jack stands waiting for things to be installed or in the driveway

Regarding the kit I was going to run, the GLI front lip just won't work. It is near impossible to fit it to the Golf bumper, might be a crappy fibreglass mould as it has been done before but for some reason there would always be a bulge on both ends and it's too short.

Attachment 54929

Another set of wheels were recently picked up. SSR Super License A in 17x9 +35 and 17x9 +29. Fitment is near perfect with my 20mm adapters, just needs a bit of camber which should be possible when I install my new suspension setup sometime this week.

Attachment 54931

I also ordered the whole catalogue of Ultra Racing's braces. The first one to be installed was the strut brace as I would later need it to hold onto the power steering rack when I drop by subframe. Decided to drill into the strut tower holes and install rivnuts instead of using a nut and bolt as they recommend.

Attachment 54934

I wish I just done a drill and tap instead as I'm having an issue with one of the holes where the rivnut isn't staying and just pops out. I used the same step drill bit but I'll try figure something out.

Attachment 54933

Also, after a year and a half I finally received my lips for my other set of SSR's that I was rebuilding. Threepiece.us unfortunately drilled a hole into each lip for the valve stem but also still kept the cutout for the original valve stem. Took it to a machine shop and they filled in the holes. Went to mock everything up and realised the fourth lip was made incorrectly and there is 40 bolt holes. This was well over 4 months ago. They realised the issue and claimed they'll get it sorted, but until now I haven't been given a courier connote or anything. Ignoring my emails too which sucks but oh well.
    Hey nice IC setup - I had something similar with my first GTI

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by beale187 View Post
    Love the rear conversion Emad, the 256mm disc look so puny under 18's. How'd you go with the carriers? Shim them? or source V6 ones?

Did you have to adjust / relocate the handbrake cable?
    Awesome kit, which conversion kit did you go for?

Quote Originally Posted by trancore View Post
    Awesome kit, which conversion kit did you go for?
    The CBAuto B6 S4 conversion kit. Fills the wheel up so much especially on 17's.
    Gonna post some pics up this weekend (hopefully) once it's all done.

It has been a while since I've last updated this thread. To be honest, despite having not much free time -- with the time I did have I just had 0 motivation to get things done. That's where World Time Attack came in and after spending a week in Sydney it gave me a burst of motivation to get things going again. Here's just some photos of some awesome stuff that was in Sydney.

Emad's MK4 GTI-qtivgsn-jpgEmad's MK4 GTI-qaje1bb-jpgEmad's MK4 GTI-he9s6li-jpg

I've decided to drop the rear rotors back down to 256mm as it would negatively affect the performance of my brakes. I originally bought the 300mm adapters because I wasn't so interested in racing but there has been a change in direction.
    The old setup looked quite good as shown below and it really fills the wheel. It's a good piece of kit!
    Emad's MK4 GTI-pxkra0o-jpg

As I no longer have any rubber components as part of my suspension there seemed to be a lot of movement in my relatively new 034 Motorsport mounts. So it was a good time to upgrade the engine mounts again but this time to Vibra Technics. I haven't noticed a huge increase in NVH but that could be because there is already a lot of NVH. For those thinking about engine mounts, do it once and do it right and don't waste your money on 034 Motorsport or similar options as they aren't anything special (you're better off with an OEM replacement at a cheaper cost).
    Emad's MK4 GTI-vujus70-jpg

The car is mostly done now, just a few things to tidy up in preparation of WA Time Attack in 4 weeks!

Users Country Flag
    builds coming on well mate...

any pointers for fitting this please, I'll be installing one over Xmas break...

Attachment 53622

Quote Originally Posted by guile View Post
    builds coming on well mate...

any pointers for fitting this please, I'll be installing one over Xmas break...

Attachment 53622

Thanks mate

It is pretty easy to install. The only thing I would check is if they have supplied you with all the hardware.
    In my case they must have forgotten to supply the grub screws to set the shifter lockout but I had plenty of new bolts that resolved that issue. The most annoying part for me was setting up the shifter lockout -- I still haven't set it up properly but I will be fixing that very soon.

One thing I would recommend (which I did not do) is upgrade/replace the cable end bushings.

Users Country Flag

thanks for the tips, I'll check the hardware first thing...

I've already replaced the shifter bushings so that shouldn't be an issue...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234