Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emad's MK4 GTI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Today I picked my car up from the fabrication shop (Wide Open Fabrication in WA, awesome bloke!). Some good and also bad (?) news.

I have never taken off the front bumper under my ownership so the fabricator found some bad stuff when taking it off. The crash bar had been cut previously, which I'm not really surprised as the front bumper has clearly been re-sprayed. The good news is it meant the fabricator's job was much easier fitting the FMIC! In the near future I'll be getting him to fabricate me one up but for now it'll do.
    Emad's MK4 GTI-img-5148-jpg

Here is a progress picture.
    Emad's MK4 GTI-img-5178-jpg

The setup is an intercooler from a XR6T Falcon. Nothing crazy but plenty enough for this setup and it's cheap and easily obtained. 2.5" piping on both the cold and hot-side.

This is how it looks with the bumper on. Unfortunately I can't run the lower grille but it also looks cool. The lip doesn't fit so well too but once the new lip is on it shouldn't be an issue. In terms of the what to do with the lower grille, some people have used mesh but it won't match the design/look of the upper grille (especially once I go badge-less). I'm sure I can make something work otherwise I'll just keep it hotboi spec
    Emad's MK4 GTI-64ffa999-eb90-4f0a-8f93-fb963f64a327-jpg

Also, I've fixed the coolerworx shifter and now it's really nice. Just a few things left to tidy up and the car gets tuned!

Users Country Flag
    Looking good Emad. Crazy about the crash bar, such a precise yet random cut it in hey.

You can "lock" the gearbox in the home position. Depending on the gearbox it'll either be a small black "button" you press in or a black pin you press in and rotate.

May have to do a reinstall of the Coolwerks shifter though if you're not getting reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by beale187 View Post
    Looking good Emad. Crazy about the crash bar, such a precise yet random cut it in hey.

You can "lock" the gearbox in the home position. Depending on the gearbox it'll either be a small black "button" you press in or a black pin you press in and rotate.

May have to do a reinstall of the Coolwerks shifter though if you're not getting reverse.
    Thanks Coolerworx shifter is all good now! Just had to mess about with the screws and keep adjusting the reverse lockout.
    I didn't know about the little black pin on the gearbox itself, but I did use it when re-adjusting the cable ends.

I've been driving the car for 2 days now and it's all shmicky until last night. I guess some boost hose has popped off or something as it breaks down after 4K RPM More diagnosing to do on my day off!

Nice mods! Looks great.
    What ECU are you running?
    2002 Golf GTI - K03S | 3" Downpipe | 312mm DBA T3 Slotted with Forza Pads | | Forge 008 | Forge Hoses | ECS Performance Mounts | R32 and Urethane Bushings | Pipercross Filter | Sachs VR6 Clutch with 14lb Balanced Flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    Nice mods! Looks great.
    What ECU are you running?
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

Currently it's still running on the stock ECU but I'm about to go stand-alone. Just figuring out how I'll be doing everything (as I try to do everything myself).

I'm opting for the Ecumaster Classic which Badger5 make a Plug'n'Play harness for but they haven't been in stock (and won't be) for a while

So I'm looking into creating an adapter harness myself but I can't find a part number for the male ECU connector, anyone have anything?
    Last edited by ybkopa; 13-02-2022 at 10:03 PM.

More goodies have arrived! First we've got a MK3 VR6 housing (thanks to Seb from Euro Revolution -- more goodies to come). It'll be temporary but it's required for my tune which I'll be running for a short amount of time.
    Emad's MK4 GTI-img-5314-jpg

Badger5 finally got the EcuMaster Adapter harnesses in stock and I snatched one up quick
    I'll be ordering the ECU shortly too, just waiting on a few more parts first.
    Emad's MK4 GTI-img-5313-jpg

I also managed to fixed my N75 short-to-ground issue. After buying a brand new N75, new connector and wiring, who would've thought that all it was missing was a fuse

A parcel from Germany arrived today. A brand new set of Hella RCCR's. It took 3 months for it to arrive but it was well worth the wait.
    The seller also threw in some cool rear interior lights which I'm not sure exactly what they are. Looks like they have some sort of sensor on it. I couldn't find anything when searching for what I think is the part number on the back of the light. Any clues?
    Emad's MK4 GTI-img_5364-jpgEmad's MK4 GTI-img_5368-jpgEmad's MK4 GTI-unnamed-jpgEmad's MK4 GTI-123-jpg

Users Country Flag
    The lights they've included contain a motion sensor. The idea is if you lock the car with an animal or child inside (maybe while you go slap the pokies) the interior motion won't set off the alarm.

If you're car doesn't have these, they won't fit - plugs are different.
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch

Quote Originally Posted by beale187 View Post
    The lights they've included contain a motion sensor. The idea is if you lock the car with an animal or child inside (maybe while you go slap the pokies) the interior motion won't set off the alarm.

If you're car doesn't have these, they won't fit - plugs are different.
    Ah interesting, the plan is to get all black interior so this won't be used but maybe I'll have it in a display cabinet with my other parts!

Users Country Flag

Good idea in using the early model XR6T intercooler. I used one myself about 10 years ago on my S15 200sx as it was a very cheap upgrade and the intercooler is of pretty good quality for an OEM part (full alloy core and end tanks (none of this plastic end tank crap) and made by Garrett, not to mention about 3x times larger than the stock side mount and in a better position for airflow).

You can pick those XR6T intercoolers for like $50-100 as most owners upgrade to a larger one anyway.

The intercoolers are too small for the XR6 once tuned up, but perfect for a smaller 4 cylinder turbo.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast