Support VWWC

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: dylan8 mkiv gsw tdi

Quote Originally Posted by geoff_gti View Post
    Nice man!!
    Cheers!

New aerial is much better.
    Overall bairnsdale trip was a 5.5-5.6lt average which had the bike on the roof for half of it. Very happy with the economy as far. Looking forward to getting it down further with a new thermostat and fixing a couple of fuel leaks

Good reason to hurry up and lower it
    dylan8 mkiv gsw tdi-imag1852-jpg

Started investigating the sound system today.
    My plan is a nice HU with blue tooth/sat Nav, improve the stock speakers while keeping the oem covers and adding a small sub and amp to the medical kit recess.

Pulled the rubbish aftermarket HU to be greeted by this mess. On closer inspection the oem plugs had also be changed to suit the adapter.. What a mess. dylan8 mkiv gsw tdi-imag1865-jpg
    This put a hold on works while I assess what to do

Users Country Flag
    Bugger, sucks when you find a landmine like that.

We found a similar mess with the white Vento - previous owner kept his aftermarket head unit and there were extra wires (which were probably for the aftermarket speakers that were installed on the parcel shelf) and a 2nd DIN connector (which made no sense to me). Lucky for father-in-law, the other son-in-law is an AV technician by trade and has been playing with car stereos since his youth so was able to get it to work with his new aftermarket head unit.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

That's ideal!

The Doner for my mk3 was like that. Heaps of random wiring that didn't make sense. Cut it all out and everything worked as it should to my knowledge.

My vento had parcel shelf speakers. Seems there was some of them fitted by the dealer. The second din connector rings a bell. Mine had a mid 90s phone installer but hidden by later owners. Maybe something odd like that?

dylan8 mkiv gsw tdi-imag1896~2-jpg

Bora sport FIS diesel clocks vs standard TDI clocks

Should be able to enable things like needle sweep and lit needles, miles until empty etc.
    Last edited by dylan8; 05-01-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Nice set of dials.

Not sure of the history of our latest addition to the clan, but we think that it may have had an original owner who took good care of the white Vento then sold it to a younger gentleman who has done a reasonable job of looking after it (other than the damage to the right rear driver-side door and rear wheel arch). We assume this younger gentleman is responsible for installing the aftermarket head unit (and removing it before it went to auction) and thus the extra DIN plug, I can find no evidence of a phone cradle, or subwoofer or amp install so it has got me beat. I have not had a chance to chat with the brother-in-law (we were sitting at opposite ends of the Xmas table this year) to find out what he may know.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI

Interesting. Atleast with a mk3 if worse comes to worse you can pull the whole HU wiring out free of any other wiring and start from scratch.

Bottom half of the dash came out to fix a few loose items. Fix wiring and get the MFD and add ons in nicely.
    Less rattles and better alignement on the trim now

Pulled the front seats to get to the last few really dirty spots

Did some more testing for air ride management locations

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Great spot for the air compressor and the head unit looks good (like it is almost an OEM one).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by feenix74 View Post
    Great spot for the air compressor and the head unit looks good (like it is almost an OEM one).
    It is OEM headunit.. out of a Passat from memory.. Great buy Dyl I had my eye on that unit

Are the Bora Sport clocks full screen?
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch

As above. Oem unit.

There is another one closer to you cheaper if you are still chasing one. Let me know and I'll get his contact details for you. Don't think seller is on here.

Yep full screen. Investigating what wiring I need to connect it up to the HU and the CCM
    Last edited by dylan8; 11-01-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast