Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: dylan8 mkiv gsw tdi

New lock down, new wheels

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

Not much happening on the wagon.

3rd set of lights almost ready to go.

Ended up with a dead adjuster motor in one light, so had to strip the light right back to remove and replace.

New oem lenses after been mucked around with 3 or 4 sets from various other places.

Not happy with the sealant used, I think it's better suited to bora headlights where the lens is held on with the pins, might try fit a couple of the pins to these as support.

Picked up some painted trim to get rid of the textured rubstrips, have a new front bumper, just need to ship a wagon rear strip over and then can get some painting done.

Not much to update.

Last service I started using a magnetic sump plug on the wagon.
    Not what I was expecting to find this service...

General consensus is it's not a oem bolt (at least for a PD) so assuming it's been in there since the previous owner of the motor, or got unlucky and somehow fell in when the motor was stored and has made its way to the bottom.

Good news is no damage to my knowledge, no other shaving or metal pieces

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan8 View Post
    Not much to update.

Last service I started using a magnetic sump plug on the wagon.
    Not what I was expecting to find this service...

General consensus is it's not a oem bolt (at least for a PD) so assuming it's been in there since the previous owner of the motor, or got unlucky and somehow fell in when the motor was stored and has made its way to the bottom.

Good news is no damage to my knowledge, no other shaving or metal pieces

Lol that's pretty interesting. Been wanting to get a magnetic sump plug for a while now, definitely gonna do that now

Users Country Flag
    ah... wtf Dylan haha.

I'm not familiar at all with the pd's but that to me doesn't even look like an OEM bolt. I'm guessing you haven't dropped the pan to inspect?

I know people **** on the ECS magnetic sump plug but I've been running mine for +3yrs now and have not had an issue I think they're great.

Yep pretty happy I put that in now.
    Hopefully no more surprises next service.

R32 headlights in, wired up so the angle can be adjusted using the factory switch rather than level sensors.
    Waiting on a new rear cover to arrive as one of these is toast.

Larger factory intake pipe work from the airbox to the front of the car installed, I'd been sitting on it for ages but the 32 lights forced my hand when they wouldn't fit inside the stock ducting.

Did rear beam bushes, wow did that make a big difference.
    First side almost defeated me, second side was so much easier for some reason.

New wheels, 18x8.5/9.5 1552 tarmacs finished in white.
    Just need to sort the centre caps (or buy replacements) and good to go.

Found the crash bar was bent causing the radiator support etc all to sit a bit wonky which in turn made the headlights sit strange so swapped that out for a spare I had laying around. New one bolted straight up, where as I recall the original one was a bit of a awkward when doing the motor so assuming everything else is nice and straight.

Took the wagon for it's longest trip so far, Melbourne to Sydney and back to Melbourne for VW nationals. Averaged about 5.48L/100 or 51.6mgp, pretty happy considering the full car, heavy wheels and not so great wheel alignment. Didn't drive it that gently either.

Picked up a quick rack to finish off the tt/r32 front end conversion, will install when my refresh bits arrive.

Snap at Luddenham thanks to Dartology. And thanks for Co piloting to Sydney!

Last edited by dylan8; 25-05-2022 at 07:21 PM.

Users Country Flag
    looks great Dylan. Big fan of the tarmac's. Did you have to run spacers on those?

5.48L/100! Can only dream of those numbers in the VR...
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch

It's not bad hey!
    I feel if the car was more aero or drove at slower speeds (say 80 instead of 110) it would be much better again.
    The return trip was a fair chunk better on fuel, it's either because we were heading down hill from Sydney (joking..) or because about 2 hours towards the end of the trip were spent in fog driving slowly trying to see what was coming our way.

I did run a 5mm spacer by choice, but not required.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516