Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Couldn't resist

Users Country Flag

Couldn't resist

Looks like I might be buying a Bora 4motion, the price for this one is too good to pass up.

Couldn't resist-s2-jpg

It’s cheap because it doesn’t accelerate, especially in 1st gear. Might be MAF, might be fuel starvation or dud sensors so will need troubleshooting and parts replaced to fix it.

Where’s the best place to get parts from?

Thanks

Paul

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post
    Looks like I might be buying a Bora 4motion, the price for this one is too good to pass up.

Couldn't resist-s2-jpg

It’s cheap because it doesn’t accelerate, especially in 1st gear. Might be MAF, might be fuel starvation or dud sensors so will need troubleshooting and parts replaced to fix it.

Thanks

Paul
    I normally source parts from eBay that are shipped from UK/Latvia/Poland etc

Most are genuine or high quality OEM replica from meyle etc. But now with the import tax I'm not sure how the prices fair.. probably still way cheaper

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

I had problems early on (back in 2004/5) with my 2001 Bora and it was the MAF. It was a fairly common fault back then. The replacement is MAF is still going strong though at 440,000 plus kilometres. Check the pipework behind the engine for vacuum leaks too. I've honestly not had any other engine issues with mine since. Sometimes the inlet water temperature sensor can give trouble.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post

Couldn't resist-s2-jpg

Thanks

Paul
    Congrats man, good to see another 4motion saved. Friend of mine is wrecking one if you get stuck for parts just pm me and I'll connect the you two. His is an 04' BDE Engine
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I took it for a short test drive and it's smooth but has no power, the car is in limp home mode. Pressing the accelerator pedal more than a centimetre makes no difference, the car slowly accelerates but an old Mazda 121 is quicker. Disconnecting the MAF sensor made no difference so that part isn't faulty.

The previous owner had it checked by an auto electrician and they diagnosed faulty ECU due to shorted oxygen sensor (which has since been replaced) but it doesn't make sense. If it was shorted it would give a false reading not kill the ECU. The car starts and idles properly and slowly accelerates when you put your foot down so the ECU is working.

I'll pick it up next week and first thing to check is if it's getting enough fuel. Is there anything else I should check?

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by sports racer; 17-07-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Mate best thing to do would have it scanned with a VCDS cable.
    Eliminates the guessing games!

Done, scan says it's a faulty oxygen sensor, no other problem found. That's why I need to check the fuelling as it's not part of the scan.

Here's what the auto electrician did for the previous owner after they replaced the oxygen sensor. Doesn't give me much faith in their abilities to find the real cause of the problem.

Couldn't resist-s4-jpg
    Last edited by sports racer; 18-07-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Users Country Flag
    That invoice does not inspire confidence.

I had a sort of similar problem while back which turned out to be short to ground. Although there were many other symptons as well, lack of power was one of them. Struggling to see how a shorted oxy sensor would destroy an ECU though. Which oxy sensor is the scan picking up?

There's no way a oxy sensor would destroy an ECU. A scan on a VW will report faulty oxy sensor if it thinks something is wrong but can't report on it eg fuel delivery.

Something I didn't notice the other night was if the engine warning light is on. If it is not on then the car isn't in limp home mode. If it isn't in limp home mode then the problem is not the ECU or caused by a sensor.

I'm slowly eliminating what could be causing the problem but it's not until I pickup the car that I can get serious about troubleshooting.

so apparently it is a thing with the 1.8t, if you short the O2 sensor it fries the ECU.

here's a vortex link talking about it
    VWVortex.com - mk4 GTI throttle issues/EPC light/engine cut-out

It's mentioned a bit more on vortex, nefmoto, came up a lot when I was looking at throttle issues in facebook groups too.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast