Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Couldn't resist

I had a intermittent issue that was similar.

Worse as in really bad in 1st and 2nd absolutely not grunt until 3k, 1.6 lancers would leave me at the lights.

As part of generally fixing broke stuff fixed the low speed / high speed fan relay issue and...

The problem went away.

As per some of the other comments here, it's an electrical gremlin somewhere.

Check the fans, and or does it still occur when the AC is on?
    2003 Bora Motion - Black Magic - Still Daily
    2000 Bora 4 Motion - Black- RIP
    1997 Golf GL Hot Chilli Pearl - Sold

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    The fans work fine but you're probably right about fixing any electrical gremlins. Something is stopping the full current going to the throttle.

I found an easy way to fix my problem.

Buy another one but this time it's an Oettinger 4MO. Plus it's the same colour so I can sneak my old one over to a mates place and park the new one without my wife knowing I've bought another one.

Couldn't resist-o-l800-jpg
    Last edited by sports racer; 20-02-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post
    Buy another one but this time it's an Oettinger 4MO. Plus it's the same colour so I can sneak my old one over to a mates place and park the new one without my wife knowing I've bought another one.
    Give that man a New.
    Well played sir. Car looks good btw
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch

I caught the bus from Canberra Friday night and got into Melbourne 8:30 Saturday morning. My VW mechanic mate was there to pick me up and we went straight out to pick this up.

Couldn't resist-day-1-jpg

5 min after buying it this happened. Zoom in on the wheel - that's not going to buff out.

Couldn't resist-day-1-b-jpg

Couldn't resist-day-1-c-jpg

I felt a vibration in the front end and was looking for somewhere to pull over on the freeway when the wheel took off, trying to pass all the traffic on the inside lane. Little bugger went for 200 metres before it stopped, with me running after it.

I nursed the car on it's half flat space saver spare wheel to the nearest servo to pump it up then to my mates place.

There's no way I was going to drive 900 ks home on a space saver wheel so the next 4 hours were spent getting a real wheel to fit and replacing the ancient battery which wouldn't hold a charge.
    Last edited by sports racer; 03-03-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Users Country Flag
    So what caused all that ? Hit something or wheel studs shearing ??
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Lose wheel studs. Previous owner denied it but when we checked the other 3 wheels all the studs could be tightened up 1/4 a turn to the correct torque setting. I couldn't be bothered hassling him any further because the car was so cheap.

So far everything the previous owner has touched hasn't been done right. Highbeam doesn't work because the bulbs were swapped for single filament bulbs (not dual) and only one headlight works. The bulbs are highbeam only but wired into the lowbeam circuit so at least you could drive it at night. The bonnet catch was mangled so you needed a screwdriver to work it. That's why the grill is in the boot and the bonnet was held down with cable ties. My mate spent 10 min with a big screwdriver to bend it back in shape and got it working perfectly.

I'm afraid to look under the back where he fit lowered Pedders springs. At least he included the front springs with the car and a full set of new brake disks.

At least it's home.

Couldn't resist-day-2-jpg

Next step is to swap a few bits of my other one (lights, wheels until I get another Bora Sport wheel, boot, a few bits of trim etc) then take it for rego.

It's going to be my daily, to Canberra each day for work - 100 ks away.
    Last edited by sports racer; 03-03-2020 at 02:42 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Check those springs, I got a feeling an angle grinder may have been the tool of choice
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

C'mon, that's not a sin. Normally I'm the angle grinder king.

This car has bright red new Pedder springs in the back and the front ones came with the car for me to fit at my leisure. I also got 4 new brake disks. Can't believe how heavy those things are.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast