Thread: Coolant issues...

Coolant issues...

Hey guys I've had my coolant light come on a couple of times in the last 2-3 months (today being the most recent time) and I'm wondering if there's anything I should check? I've taken a few photos showing the coolant bottle with what looks like dried up coolant (may be my terrible pouring skills though haha) and also a part that was a little but loose when I had a look a few minutes ago

And sorry for the pics I'm uploading them on tapatalk and I took them on my phone in not the best light.

Thanks in advance guys

Edit: also might add that the temperature didn't rise above 90 on the way from North Sydney to Seaforth (took about 30-45 minutes in decent traffic)
    2014 Golf GTI PP - Pure White

Users Country Flag
    As the coolant is red, you should be able to see where it is leaking if it is leaking externally. Look for red stains below any of the coolant hoses.
    2010 90TSI Manual / Comfort Pack / United Grey
    RICE - Leave the useless wings to the Penguins...

Users Country Flag
    looks like the cap isn't holding pressure once its hot, i had this happen a while ago and this was the problem . replace the cap and see how you go
    Polo GTI
    T-Roc R
    Tiguan R

Ok thanks for the suggestions guys, when it happened the first time I put newspaper underneath it overnight (I don't have a decent jack haha) and there wasn't anything under there and I haven't noticed any leaks... But will definitely check the cap first haha

Users Country Flag
    Remember that the temp gauge in our cars is not linear. It rises from 0 to 90 fairly quickly and then stays there with no fluctuation unless the temps goes too high in which case you will get a warning lamp and possibly an alarm. Otherwise agree with the above.
    2003 Bora 4Motion

Users Country Flag
    Does it happen when you first turn on the car ?
    If so you probably have a slow coolant leak. When you first start the car the coolant cold and is too low and sets of the low level warning. After a bit of driving the coolant heats up and expands, lifting the level over the warning point and the light goes off.

There are many places it can leak. Basically at every hose connection or plastic part. I had to replace the tee where it meets the engine block, it had cracked, another hose went once too.

The Germans do not know how to make plastic like the Japs.
    Plastic waterpump = fail, plastic window regulators = fail, plastic coolant junction = fail.

To find a leak look for dry coolant it forms a pinkish white powder and generally dries right where is it leaking.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Ok thanks will have to try and get a real jack to check it out