Thread: Common Problems with V6 4Motion Bora

Users Country Flag

Common Problems with V6 4Motion Bora

My wife is 12wks pregnant and she is starting to win the conversation of "New Baby Car"

I have owned my 2003 VW V6 4Motion for 18 months and the only issue was the speed sensor which was a total nightmare to deal with.

I'm asking the question of common problems as I'd really like to keep my VW as a 2nd car but my wife has been told these things are not very reliable cars. Mine has had only the 1 problem but I have only put 8000 on the clock.

Fingers crossed its all good but would love to hear feedback.

Thanks in advance

Users Country Flag
    All old cars are going to have problems and this varies on the way it was treated. There are just somethings that wear out as time gets on. VW's and other european cars can sometimes suffer problems that are due to our climate such as plastic pieces cracking in the heat, seals degrading etc
    I've had a fair share of problems on mine in less than 3,000kms but that's because she's at 200,000kms and all serviceable parts on the driveline are worn out.

I'd dare say that for anything other than a washing machine from Toyota, all cars are going to have inherent problems. Unless you buy new, you are going to have problems on older cars.
    As far as I'm aware the worst that Bora 4mo exclusively suffered was failing coil packs, sticky & ticking lifters, a few sensors and busted diffs from poor treatment & maintenance. Obviously MKIV's have their own set of problems, predominately to do with interior quality and some electronic issues. However, the rest of the problems that these cars have are more to do with wear more than anything else. I've not heard or seen any significant problems with the Bora 4mo engine or transmission in particular, nor anything major apart from minor issues. Unlike many awd cars, the 4mo's transfer cases & propshafts are strong and the engine is pretty bulletproof.

How many kms does your 4mo have and what's it's service history like?
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyCarMods
    I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me. Your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book.

-| "Laura" - 2001 Bora 4-motion (now sold) |-

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks RubAVeeDubDub for the detailed information.

My car has done 126,000 the service history is very good, I know the previous owner changed the coils and I recently changed the spark plugs.

Users Country Flag
    What other car can you buy for the same money that is as nice to drive and is more reliable ?
    You would have to double the budget to get where your Mrs want to be. What do you think the worst possible scenario of cost on the Bora over the next few years ? Would be it be less than the extra coin you have to spend to get the reliable car ?

My Golf was fine as the baby car for 3 years until the 2nd one came along, I then got a Jetta as baby car and kept the Golf. My Mrs still steals my Golf when she goes somewhere without the kids, her inner hoon comes out again and she says please don't sell it.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    When was the Haldex last done? Needs an oil and filter change every 60K
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

@JustCrusin' - We've already got a Subaru Liberty Heritage Wagon

@Umai Naa!! - Haldex, not sure when done. Oil and Filter change 5mths ago

Users Country Flag
    Haldex oil and filter service is what I'm referring to
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

ok, sorry my bad. Haldex was done almost 2yrs ago by previous owner

Users Country Flag

i enjoy my vw bora 4motion but the only problem I have atm is the haldex but getting that fixed but it's really a enjoyable car to drive I have a 2.5 inch straight through exhaust and it sounds pretty good