Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant get Mk4 golf gti into gear with engine on!

Users Country Flag

Cant get Mk4 golf gti into gear with engine on!

Basically we have had a buttload of rain down here lately, and last night I came to about 200-300mm of water across the road. Had no choice but to go through it. Drove through it, and then promptly pulled over and check my cai. Bone dry. So I drove home and parked it over night. Next morning started in neutral an could not get into any gear. And when I have the engine off and have it in 1st with clutch in and try to start the whole car lurches forward! Could the flywheel and pressure plate be rusted together or something if water had got in?? Or has my clutch just somehow exploded!

Users Country Flag
    That sucks, hopefully its just a bit of surface rust bonding together

So when you started it in 1st it didn’t jolt enough to break free?

Was there an oily puddle under the car at all?

Users Country Flag
    Could be the clutch rusted up. Try a very quick crank with the clutch pedal down and your foot on the brake too. That should crack it. If not I think something else has gone and a coincidence that it happened after the submarining.

Gavin

Check the clutch fluid level and the shifter linkages
    MK4 GTI: Custom Code Stage 2, K03S, 42DD exhaust, Bilsteins, whiteline F&R, 312mm brakes
    MK6 GTI: MY13, DSG , very stock
    Ducati 749

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Tried starting with the clutch in, in gear a couple of times last night. No fix! Argh got it towed tonight to my local mechanic. Will find out tomorrow! Hopefully it's something as simple as a bit of rust. ALWAYS happens at the worst time, when I have no money and need my car the most!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    With the brakes on?
    Yup with brakes on. Tried it 2 or 3 times. Was a bit scared to do it to much as I didn't want to wreck my starter motor.

so apparently the clutch and flywheel has just gone. Mechanic quoted me 2800 with a service which it needs. Whats the best clutch kit going around thats not gonna rape my bank account?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by undisclos3d View Post
    so apparently the clutch and flywheel has just gone. Mechanic quoted me 2800 with a service which it needs. Whats the best clutch kit going around thats not gonna rape my bank account?
    Only way to save money on that, is go single mass flywheel. The Std DMF is a pricey item. Have a look around ebay AGU clutch kit. ECS is probably the easiest place to go but time for the shipping etc. Depends how quick you want the car back.

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Only way to save money on that, is go single mass flywheel. The Std DMF is a pricey item. Have a look around ebay AGU clutch kit. ECS is probably the easiest place to go but time for the shipping etc. Depends how quick you want the car back.

Gavin
    How long does ECS usually take to ship to Australia? I am on their site now looking at their stage 1 kit. bout 550 landed. Does that sound decent? 490 for the 14lb kit. Is the 20.5lb better?
    Last edited by undisclos3d; 22-08-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast