Support VWWC

Thread: Buying a Used Golf Mk4 GTi

Users Country Flag

Buying a Used Golf Mk4 GTi

Hey Guys,

Thinking of purchasing a Mk4 GTi.

Just curious if there's anything in particular to look out for when inspecting / test driving?

Looking at spending around 6-7k max.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Wow that is a lot of money for a MK4 GTI, you can have a MK5 for that sort of cash.
    I would consider
    MK4 $3-5k
    MK5 $5-7K I found 13 on carsales in that price range.

MK4 are getting to 20 years old now.
    Basically everything could be a problem. Gearboxes tend to sheer diff bolts, so you want to check for easy gear changes at high revs.
    I would just look for good service history, timing belts and water pump services, suspension needs to have been redone at some stage too.
    The AGU engine really did not have any issues, unless it was tuned too far or not serviced often enough. Water pumps failed early but most should have had a few replacement by now.
    Check the radiator fans come on when AC is on. And that the AC is ice cold or keep walking.
    Biggest issue will be age, so all vac lines and hoses could be perished and cracked etc. Interior would expect peeling plastic worn steering wheel and seats starting to wear through.

MK5 just looks for DSG issues, smooth gear changes up and down are a must.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    Yes this is great advice.

From 150k-200k, anything in the engine bay is fair game to be replaced. I have seriously replaced a lot of stuff.

Although I have been impressed with the engine in general and the coil packs.

Gearbox has been driven hard but sensibly (no burnouts) and still feels great at 225k km. I think to sheer diff bolts you have to be doing burnouts and hard launches.

I just had the water pump, timing belt done for the 2nd time during my ownership. Water pump for me fails like clockwork around the 70-75k Mark. Cost me $900 to have the work done including parts.

Full suspension refresh is necessary to tighten everything up.

I would get hold of a vagcom cable and run that on the car as a minimum.

What are you planning on doing with it? Are you going to modify? Or just drive around like a Grandma?

If you intend to modify, the failure of parts comes hard and fast. Once you have everything nailed thou, the mk4 is a great car.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the information guys. Makes a lot of sense. I have always loved the mk4 shape, hence the reason I went straight to them regardless of my price range.

I'd be wanting to basically drive it to and from work, however during its time its probably going to be driven interstate a fair bit. I'm going down to Victoria from Brisbane for work in a few weeks until the end of the year, so depending on when I find something and where it is, straight up there might be the possibility of 2 X 1500km trips.

Maybe I'm better off looking at a non GTi MK6 based off age. Mk5 had some issues didn't they when they were made in South Africa?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    If your not going to be driving it hard, then a mk4 GTI would make a great interstate car. Very comfortable, great economy (750-800km per tank when everything is working right)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirocco20348 View Post
    If your not going to be driving it hard, then a mk4 GTI would make a great interstate car. Very comfortable, great economy (750-800km per tank when everything is working right)
    I really like the look of this one, but in comparison to the others, the price seems to be quite high. No doubt because of the lower kms in comparison to every other one.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...IaAgRmEALw_wcB

Thoughts?

Users Country Flag
    It looks excellent, if it does have full service history it would be a pretty sweet car.

It doesn't matter what 2nd hand car you buy, things will need to be done.

Users Country Flag

Persistent fellow...