Support VWWC

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bora R32 Build Thread

Users Country Flag

Bora R32 Build Thread

Long time coming (and expected to take a long time to finish!) but it's time to switch the "pipes and slippers" Bora 4motion into a ball tearing Bora R32.

So I picked up this beast about a year ago after my previous 4motion was written off. One owner, very clean besides some slotted rotors and the Evolo alloys she's stock.

Bora R32 Build Thread-img_6476-jpg

In stock:
    Oettinger body kit
    Forge R32 CAI
    R32 brushed aluminium trim
    Bora 4motion (donor vehicle, long story)
    BBE 3'' exhaust with Magnaflow R32 style muffler and twin pipes

Yet to get:
    R32 donor
    Coilovers
    Suspension refresh kit
    Wheels (undecided yet but leaning towards some Oettinger RZ's)
    Dieselgeek shorter shifter
    Time, tools and knowledge to do the job!

So the first thing I thought I'd get onto was the horrible woodgrain trim. I managed to source some brushed aluminium trim from the UK out of a 5door GTI 20th anniversary.

Bora R32 Build Thread-img_6636-jpg

Here's a tip for anyone looking to remove a MK4 stereo without the removal tool. Cut up an old ATM card, works perfectly!

Bora R32 Build Thread-img_6643-jpg

With that out of the way it was time to strip the lower end of the dash to remove the radio cage.

Bora R32 Build Thread-img_6645-jpg

For anyone doing a similar swap the radio cage side trims can be removed by doing the following.

Bora R32 Build Thread-r32sidetrim-jpg

There is 4 pins on the backside of the trim. 3 pins have lip which clip into small claw on the radio cage. The pin without the lip locks in behind a tab. You can try bending the tab but I found it easier to insert a small screwdriver at the back of the radio cage and push the pin up to clear the tab. Once clear gently slide the side trim towards the bottom of the cage.

Bora R32 Build Thread-img_6648-jpg

Other than that everything just clips straight in.

Before:
    Bora R32 Build Thread-img_6639-jpg

After:
    Bora R32 Build Thread-img_6647-jpg

Now onto the doors. Started at the rear passenger door, removed the door card and changed the handle / speaker assembly complete, unfortunately I busted one of the plastic clips on the back doing this.

So rather than risking breaking any more clips I found to change the inner door handles only you can do the following.

1. Remove the door card
    2. Unhook the cable attached to the handle.
    3. Extend the handle as far back as it will go
    4. Pull it downwards and the top of the handle will pop out, then pull it up and the bottom will come out. Then just wiggle the spring out. Installation is reverse.

Bora R32 Build Thread-img_6655-jpg

Bora R32 Build Thread-img_6656-jpg

The inner door grabs simply pop on and off with a flat blade which is inserted at the lower edge.

Before:

Bora R32 Build Thread-img_6640-jpg

After:
    Bora R32 Build Thread-img_7337-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bora R32 Build Thread-img_6640-jpg  

Users Country Flag
    That's some great cosmetic progress right there - the brushed aluminium really gives the interior a lift. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses!

Users Country Flag
    I’ve got short shifters for sale if you’re interested, pm me of you want more details
    91' Golf mk2 GTi 1.8t (soon to be gtx3076’d)
    Golf mk2 GTi 8v
    02' Audi S3 (soon to be gtx3076’d)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by RolfGolf View Post
    That's some great cosmetic progress right there - the brushed aluminium really gives the interior a lift. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses!
    Start with the easy stuff first

Quote Originally Posted by Schalke04 View Post
    I’ve got short shifters for sale if you’re interested, pm me of you want more details
    thanks mate but I actually pulled the trigger of the Dieselgeek kit last week.

Not much happened over the weekend, usual domestic crap got in the way. I did however take delivery of this, ladies and gents welcome to the place where MK4's come to die... My backyard haha

Bora R32 Build Thread-img_7350-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Sub'd

This is juicy!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This looks pretty promising! can you fit the r32 front and rear bumper to it?

Users Country Flag
    Always sad to see a Mk4 R32 getting scrapped - what's the damage to it? (Front looks to be in good shape ...)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    This looks pretty promising! can you fit the r32 front and rear bumper to it?
    Yes AND No. I'm planning on sticking with the Bora front and rear but I'll be fitting my Oettinger body kit. But it is possible to fit the R32 bumper but it would require either modding the top half of the bar cover OR changing bonnet, grill, guards, headlights, loom (xenon) to Golf ones. On the rear although the width across the boot is the same I don't think the depth is (the distance between the rear of the boot to where it meets the qtr panel) because of the Bora's longer trunk. This would also mean you have to get the R32 zhorst or similar as well to match the bar cover.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast