Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Beetle - adding cruise control

Users Country Flag

New Beetle - adding cruise control

A while back I bought a cruise control stalk and loom for the beetle, and decided today was the day to fit it.

I printed the instructions that came with the kit, and also found this tutorial with plenty of photos Cruise Control VW New Beetle so made a start.

Apart from the removing the drivers airbag (absolute mongrel job) it was all going smoothly until I couldn't find the T10e connector that was supposed to be under the upper dash panel. There's no loom running into the plastic panel (like this one shown in the tutorial http://www.childminder.eclipse.co.uk/socketcoveroff.jpg).
    When I open that cover there's nothing directly underneath

I've found a black connector on the back of the lower relay panel that looks like it might be the right one, but how can I confirm? Is there a diagram around somewhere showing the location of connectors throughout the car?
    Anyone else fitted cruise to a beetle that might know?

Steve

Users Country Flag
    Only for Petrol Engine Codes; APF, AQN, AQP, AUE, AVU, BDE, BEH, BFH, BML, and 1.9 TDi Diesel Engine, with Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)
    Other engines require extra wiring harness not covered here.

Is your engine one of those listed? Also, have you tried to enable it in the ECU? I know it's not wired in but the ECU doesn't know that. It should confirm it as taken the coding change if it works.

Gavin

Gavin

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Only for Petrol Engine Codes; APF, AQN, AQP, AUE, AVU, BDE, BEH, BFH, BML, and 1.9 TDi Diesel Engine, with Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)
    Other engines require extra wiring harness not covered here.

Is your engine one of those listed? Also, have you tried to enable it in the ECU? I know it's not wired in but the ECU doesn't know that. It should confirm it as taken the coding change if it works.

Gavin

Gavin
    Thanks Gavin. Hadn't noticed that bit as I was mainly using the article as a RH drive Beetle photo reference. The instructions that came with the stalk/loom said it was for any MkIV with electronic throttle

Haven't tried enabling it in the ECU yet. Was planning to get that done once it was all wired in as I don't have my own VCDS cable.

Might be time to re-assemble everything as is and do a bit more research I think...

Edit: I've got BFS engine code.

Steve
    Last edited by SteveG; 03-03-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Thanks to Stan and his VCDS cable I've now got cruise enabled in the ECU
    After a bit more research it seems like the plug I need to connect into may be over on the LH side of the dash. If thats the case it poses another problem as the cable I have with the cruise stalk is only a short one, so won't reach over that far.

Still making progress, so will keep posting info as I come across it until its either working or gets too hard and I give up....

Steve

Users Country Flag
    Welcome Steve, keep going mate, it'll get there...
    My build thread here: 1.6 sr into 1.8T http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...-8t-63249.html

Users Country Flag
    from some further reading, when you hook it up, bring it over and we will do a throttle body alignment, or you may end up with erratic idle and some other issues.
    My build thread here: 1.6 sr into 1.8T http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...-8t-63249.html

Users Country Flag
    The kit I bought came with an extra wiring harness which goes over to the left hand side near the ecu.

Having said that, my car doesn't have electronic throttle, so the kit is useless to me now and i've been trying to offload it for awhile (Genuine Cruise control kit for Mark IV).

It's possible to make your own wiring or splice into required wires.

Quote Originally Posted by mikk View Post
    The kit I bought came with an extra wiring harness which goes over to the left hand side near the ecu.

Having said that, my car doesn't have electronic throttle, so the kit is useless to me now and i've been trying to offload it for awhile (Genuine Cruise control kit for Mark IV).

It's possible to make your own wiring or splice into required wires.
    PM sent.

Steve

Its been almost a year, but I finally got the job finished this weekend.

A few useful bits of info for anyone else in the future:
    - as well as the factory CC stalk and standard loom, you also need a separate long loom that extends it to the ECU on the passengers side of the dash next to the pollen filter
    - BFS engine has the Simos ECU, and in the Haynes manual its the APF engine diagram that I referred to. Instructions from VW Teeside also don't list the BFS engine, but the BFQ listing was the correct pinout.
    For the record the wire colours on the long extension loom and the positions they went into the ECU plug:
    T121/67 - blue/grey
    T121/66 - red/yellow
    T121/69 - black/white
    T121/68 - white
    - its the plug on the LH (outboard) side of the ECU that the loom connects to
    - I routed the loom from the ECU out under the plenum cover then under the air ducting and over to the drivers side to connect with the stalk loom
    - The most bastardly bit was trying to get the terminal out of the main fuseblock (fuse 5) so I could insert the wire from the new loom. My advice to anyone else doing it at home is unless you have the special removal tool (VAS1978/4) or equivalent, then you're probably better to cut your losses and just join the new wire in using a crimp or solder. I persevered and ended up butchering the socket, then had to resort to solder anyway.

Hardest bits of the job for a newbie:
    - working out how all the dash bits come apart
    - interpreting the instructions when it doesn't quite match your vehicle and your engine code isn't listed
    - removing the steering wheel airbag (use an old screwdriver heated then bent to 90deg and this video Volkswagen MKIV 4-spoke steering wheel airbag removal - YouTube )
    - removing that damn terminal from the fuse block.

Very glad its finally working, and thinking I should stick definitely stick to doing mechanical stuff.
    I also changed the timing belt this weekend and I reckon it was about the easiest one I've ever done - gotta love the single o-ring and 3 bolts on the water pump too
    Couldn't work out how to change the spark plugs though (looks like the whole intake manifold has to come off) - but that's a job for later......

Steve

Users Country Flag

Dear SteveG,

Sorry to bother you but I need urgent help. I’ve bought a cruise control kit from ebay, from German but whatever. I dismantle all of the proper stuff from my vehicle step by step but I also can’t find the Black T10E connector because there is just empty space - as you wrote your first post.

I read you posts and in the final one you wrote that you have found this stuff near to filter, at passanger side.

I’ve looked every potential place there, but I cant see it.

Please help me, my car in pieces nearly….where is it?

I have a New Beetle Cabriolet from 2006, facelift - but I cant find any proper info about this connector.

Somehow I’ve found your post from the other side of this planet….

Thank you so much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast