Support VWWC

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bora R32 Build Thread

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by RolfGolf View Post
    Always sad to see a Mk4 R32 getting scrapped - what's the damage to it? (Front looks to be in good shape ...)
    Bora R32 Build Thread-img_7404-jpg

Buckled qtr panel and damaged tailgate. Surprised they didn't fix it tbh given their market value.

Oh almost forgot.... These arrived yesterday the final piece of the puzzle (well hopefully).

18" 2piece Oettinger RZ's. They need a little TLC but my biggest concern is how heavy they are! My tired +200,000kms shocks and springs are not going to handle that extra weight very well especially once I add onto top of that the additional weight of the bigger R32 brakes and rotors... Upgrade / Refresh suspension just moved to top of the list.

Bora R32 Build Thread-img_7406-jpg
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch

Users Country Flag
    That is surprising though maybe not as it requires real panel-beating. It seems anything time-consuming becomes too complicated for insurance these days.

Users Country Flag
    PS. Great looking wheels - what do they weigh? Should look fantastic with a refurb.

Nice!! Are you going to bring them back to the stock colour?

Users Country Flag
    I really struggle to get why insurance companies make cars like this a stat right off. Yes it needs some work, but nothing structural! why make it impossible to re-register if someone is willing to repair it properly.

That said, I'd love to get hold a wrecked one and do the same as you Beale, my V6 4mo has all the r32 kit minus the engine, looking forward to the updates.

Quote Originally Posted by RolfGolf View Post
    PS. Great looking wheels - what do they weigh? Should look fantastic with a refurb.
    So the Aristo's with rubber were about 20.8kg.

The RZ's with rubber came in at about 24kg!

Definitely will not be fitting these until my suspension is done. They need a refurb anyways, luckily it's minor rashing around the lip only.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    Nice!! Are you going to bring them back to the stock colour?
    Originally I thought I'd keep them black but changed my mind after seeing up close. So I'm tossing up between stock or gunmetal, like the set Hawk had recently pictured below.

Bora R32 Build Thread-hawkrz-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gez110 View Post
    I really struggle to get why insurance companies make cars like this a stat right off. Yes it needs some work, but nothing structural! why make it impossible to re-register if someone is willing to repair it properly.

That said, I'd love to get hold a wrecked one and do the same as you Beale, my V6 4mo has all the r32 kit minus the engine, looking forward to the updates.
    If the same vehicle was registered in another state it would have been listed as a "repairable write off (RWO)" and could have been re-registered. It's just our NSW state laws here that prevent it. Worked out nicely for me I was able to pick it up cheaper than if it had a RWO status. Next year these R32's will have no WOVR applicable as they'll be +15yrs old so potentially they could all go back on the road.

In this case, I think from memory some of the parts were unavailable or uneconomical to wait for. (E.g. replacement bar cover 8-12week wait from Germany, meanwhile the owner is driving a hire car at $30-$40 a day) Sometimes it's just not the actual cost of repairs that kills it but other factors.

How do you find the R32 shocks and springs Gez? I'm tossing up between running R32 gear or coilovers (purely from a pricing point)

It's my daily drive so I don't really need anything crazy low or adjustable... well not yet anyways.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast