Thread: Audi TT MK1/MK2 spindle/ball joint compatibility

Users Country Flag

Audi TT MK1/MK2 spindle/ball joint compatibility

OK so the MK1 and MK2 TT lower control arms are clearly not interchangeable due to the different inner rear bush setup.

What about the spindles and/or ball joints? MK2 TT spindles appear to be alloy and the ball joint carrier is slotted for camber adjustment. Definitely a better option than the MK1s if they work.

Would MK2 TT spindles work with MK4 Golf LCAs, tie rod ends and shocks with the middle hole re-drilled just like what is necessary to fit the MK1 TT ball joint carrier?

are mk1 TT disks and callipers also compatible with mk2 spindles? being on is 5x100 and one is 5x112

Users Country Flag
    I have TT front brake disks at 312mm, I use GTI calipers and bigger carriers for the bigger disks
    My build thread here: 1.6 sr into 1.8T http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...-8t-63249.html

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    I have TT front brake disks at 312mm, I use GTI calipers and bigger carriers for the bigger disks
    Same here, it's a great package for the MK4
    MK4 GTI: Custom Code Stage 2, K03S, 42DD exhaust, Bilsteins, whiteline F&R, 312mm brakes
    MK6 GTI: MY13, DSG , very stock
    Ducati 749

Users Country Flag
    Massive thread dredge I apologise...

Does anyone know if mk2 TT / Mk5 golf r32 front lower arm ball joints work on mk1 tt / mk4 r32 /mk4 bora/jetta ??

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NAANI?4Motion View Post
    Massive thread dredge I apologise...

Does anyone know if mk2 TT / Mk5 golf r32 front lower arm ball joints work on mk1 tt / mk4 r32 /mk4 bora/jetta ??
    VAG are pretty good at cross compatibility and tend to NLA (No Longer Available) parts that are superceded by parts used on later generations.

If they were interchangeable, I'm sure VAG wouldn't offer MK1/R32 ball joints for sale still. They'd simply direct you to purchase MK5 ones.

Looking at pictures comparing the 2, I'd say no. The distance of the 3 connecting threads (to the control arm) look to be different (mk5 appears wider).

Also, MK4 Bora/Golf ball joints are not the same as Golf R32/ Audi TT/S3 ones.

I not long ago finished converting my Bora 4motion front suspension to R32/TT/S3 stuff to provide wider track and some adjustment of camber.
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch