Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed please: 4Motion Haldex issue?

Users Country Flag

Advice needed please: 4Motion Haldex issue?

I'm hoping you guys can help me problem solve an issue I have with my standard VW 4Motion Bora.

The inside rear wheel of the car is constantly skipping and hopping under slow tight turning and parking manoeuvres but is perfectly fine at normal road speeds. However, if the fuse (31) is removed for the rear wheel drive operation, the vehicle behaves perfectly normally (FWD only obviously) and has no rear wheel skipping or hopping under ANY tight turning conditions.

The car has fully documented service history (120,000km) at a reputable VW dealership and has had the Haldex oil and filter replaced as per VW service schedule. I have recently had the car connected to VW Diagnostics but the car is showing no codes relating to the operation of the Haldex, but it is clearly not operating as designed.

From this very basic description is anyone able to help me identify the likely component that is at fault?

Is it most likely to be:

a. Haldex Controller
    b. Haldex Clutch Pack (fused?)
    c. Haldex Pump
    d. Other component?

I personally think that the Controller is the part at fault because when the fuse is removed there is no operational problem with the rear wheels at any time or any conditions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Rossi

Sounds like you have an orange controller fitted. No ones replaced the haldex controller with an after market one have they?

2001 Turbo! 4mo Bora 'Boring' | Carbinaro CAI | Fixing broken stuff | Sorting the Turbo Goodness! | BBS Lm's 18x8.5 | KW V2's | 4 pot Brembo's

Users Country Flag
    yes thay have but not recommended.it sounds like the the either the engagement for the rear is playing funny buggers.did thay check the differental.get the hole rear end checked out something is not right mate.it also might be alingment as well.who knows.im a vw tech and it has got me stumped unless i got for a drive in it and find out for my self.

Sounds to me like the haldex clutch is not disengaging / allowing slip as it should during low speed turning manouvers. Reason i'd be pinpointing the haldex clutch is, as since our vehicles do not have a centre differential the haldex unit plays this role. When the haldex clutch is fully engaged the rear and front wheels are mechanically "solidly" linked.

If you are to turn in a tight radius the rear wheels tend to turn in a shorter radius than the front wheels, this means that they are travelling at a slower speed. As such if there is nothing in the drivetrain to allow this differential in speed the drivetrain will bind up and then make the wheel with the least grip skip (which to me sounds right being the inside rear wheel). In many other AWD cars this job is performed by a centre differential, in our cars its performed by the haldex clutch slipping or disengaging completely.

I wouldn't be pinpointing the differential itself as if it were this it'd be a constant problem, even when the haldex is electronically disabled. For the same reason its not likely to be alignment. I'm also thinking the wet clutch itself is just fine as it appears to be well and truly engaging and also disengaging when the haldex is disabled by pulling fuse #31. The same reason leads me to think the pump would be alright as it performs a simple job and appears to be building hydraulic pressure to active the clutch. The controlling of this pressure and thus engagement of the clutch is done by the controller.

So all said, i'd be looking at the controller myself. Try and find a known working controller you can borrow from someone (i'm sure there are members here with them kicking around!). Changing the unit is a simple job and takes 20-30 minutes and doesn't require changing fluid or anything like that as a very minimal amount is lost during the change, thus its well worth a try. Just try and keep everything clean up there to ensure you dont get any dirt into the system.

Also, next time your out driving when turning a tight circle and encountering the problem try either touching the foot brake (to turn on the brake lights) or pulling up the handbrake enough clicks to pull on the warning light on the dash. The haldex receives inputs from both and when a signal is received when moving it "should" disengage the clutch. Note that this wont work from a standstill and some say it wont work at lowish speeds ie. if you stop/slow down too much and try and fry the tyres by pulling up the handbrake, the haldex will stay engaged.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Rob
    Last edited by WhO; 29-05-2011 at 01:11 AM.

Dont poke and hope, scan, smoke and scope
    Users Country Flag
    Check and scan your ABS controller, i had a lateral sensor playing up on one and it affected it, normally the traction control light would be on. Quick scan will tell. Does sond like a faulty controller and totally agree diff is ruled out.
    Cheers
    Jmac
    Alba European
    Service, Diagnostics and repairs. Mobile Diag available on request
    Audi/VW/Porsche Factory trained tech 25+ yrs exp
    For people who value experience call 0423965341

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks guys, I'm trying the scenario on a few engineering friends too (not Dubbers, but smart enough to figure Haldex stuff out I think), the general consensus is the controller seems to be at fault even though there are no fault codes thrown when hooked up to a VAGCom.

I've been to a VW mechanic to get their opinion too, but they are insisting it's necessary to replace the entire final drive assembly with Haldex and controller to fix it... I don't mean to second guess their VW knowledge but I'm not prepared to accept a solution that seems to primarily offer more financial return for them rather than what myself and other people are thinking is the correct solution.

Does anyone have a spare controller lying around I can try out?
    Cheers guys, Ross ; )

Dont poke and hope, scan, smoke and scope
    Users Country Flag
    Just remember, something i keep going over and over on here is that there doesnt have to be any fault codes for faults. Its only when a signal becomes implausible or in fact no existant, open circuit, short ect that it will flag the fault. If the controller is glitching it may still be working within the parameters therefore no need for fault codes. Live data is where faults are picked up more often. The contoller might be gettig all the correct signals and commands but might not be carrying them out properly.
    Good luck
    Jmac
    Alba European
    Service, Diagnostics and repairs. Mobile Diag available on request
    Audi/VW/Porsche Factory trained tech 25+ yrs exp
    For people who value experience call 0423965341

Quote Originally Posted by TTRossi View Post
    Does anyone have a spare controller lying around I can try out?
    you can borrow mine i've got the original its sitting in my garage somewhere, as Back Door Shenanigans said if you've got an upgraded haldex these symptons could be "normal". Mine does it. Is it the oem controller that you have?

I even swapped mine over for another upgraded haldex and it still did it, then I went back to the oem one then decided I could live with it

Also try this take the car out of gear and keep your foot of the clutch and turn sharply at low speed, does it still do it? I know with mine it stops, if so its probably the haldex and could be normal.

Where/when did you buy the car perhaps someone on the forum knows it?

I test drove a 4mo Bora at a dealership and it did sorta the same thing (around 120000km as well). When turning tight for a u-turn or something it felt like the rear wheel would get a kick of power and skip a bit, but then be fine after the initial surge of power.

Is this the same thing or is it normal?
    VW Bora V6 4motion

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Sounds very similar to what happens with mine. Has the one at the dealership had a recent 120K service? Because mine got a little worse after the recent Haldex oil and filter change, perhaps because the fresh oil has less slip on the clutches, just a thought.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast