Support VWWC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2003 New Beetle 1.6L running rough

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jarredking View Post
    anyone?
    I have VCDS and am in Newcastle but not sure if my version of VCDS (as their are several types) will work on a 2003 Beetle. The oldest VW ive used it on is my friends 2007/08 Golf GTI.

Its worth a try though if you want. Providing it communicates with your car, i will be able to run a scan of the ECU to read the error codes its stored which will give you a pretty clear indication of what the issue could be.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

You'll need a Hex-can not a micro-can cable to talk to the new beetle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    You'll need a Hex-can not a micro-can cable to talk to the new beetle.
    ^ yeh that's what i thought. I cant remember which version i have - will have to check tonight.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

thanks let me know because i am booking in tomorrow with VW and they are charging me $80 just to plug scanner in!

Users Country Flag
    thanks let me know because i am booking in tomorrow with VW and they are charging me $80 just to plug scanner in!
    And to think i was only going to charge you $75......i need to put my prices up

$80 for a diagnosis isnt bad, at least they will have the right tool for the job, im not sure if the one i have will work on cars older than the Mk5 era which was 2005 or so. Anyway, ill have a look tonight at which version i have and ill let you know.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    My cable is HEX+CAN according to its label, which means that it "should" be able to communicate with your car. Mind you, i have never used it on anything older than a 2007/08 model Golf - so there is a possibility that it may not work.

Might be a safer bet to just pay $80 and get the VW dealer to scan it. Another option is European Car Centre at Wickham who would be able to scan it for you.

PM me if you want to discuss further.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

latest with this car is volkswagen cannot fix it, they say there is nothing wrong with the car.

There IS definately a problem with the car. from what i have read it could be a coolant sensor. car runs fine when the blue cold engine light IS NOT on.

Can i somehow trick the car to thinking its warm all the time?

Users Country Flag
    Could be the air mass sensor.

They won't throw a code when they play up.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    The issue sounds very similar/same as something my old Nissan 200sx used to do when it was cold.

If you started it up (cold start) in the morning and drove down the street on very light throttle and low revs, it would misfire (just at a particular level of load and RPM) for mabye 30-45 seconds until the engine got a bit warmer and then it went away.

Did it every time on a cold engine if you got the revs/load at the right spot. Once warm the car ran perfectly fine and never had a single issue with it. I tried and tried to find what was causing the misfire, but after changing various sensors (o2 sensor/cam sensor etc) as well as the ignition coils, spark plugs, fuel filter etc.....i ended up giving up as nothing made it go away.

I ended up putting it down to a "characteristic" of that car. It was a little bit annoying to me because i am fussy, but it never caused any issues what so ever to the car.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag

darn, so i was onto nothing there. Are these vag-coms worth it? there only $50 on ebay
    I have an eBay one. It works on earlier vehicles - maybe. Certainly doesn't work on my 2007 Skoda
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast