Thread: Import from UK

Users Country Flag

Import from UK

There are still quite a few Rados floating around in UK and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about exporting one over to Australia.

It doesn't fit into the pre-88 rule as they weren't around.

I know you can import them on a CAMS licence for racing purposes but they are never allowed to be road registered.

The only other way I know of is own the car and live in UK for 12months then ship it over as a personal import.

Does anyone know of any other ways??

I am considering bringing one over on the racing rule.... I'll never race it. I'll just look at it in my garage every day.

The only other way(s) is to get an '88 built one from Germany, then convert it to RHD if you want to register it in most states....

Or if you know someone who's planning on moving here, register the car in their name for the 12 months, get them to bring it and then buy it off them...

Users Country Flag

Just had a dig for some '88ers for you... Some are pretty hideous, but they can be put right!

Also worth noting, on that site to look for 'FR' - first registered, these ones posted are all FR '88, some on there are FR early '89, so would of been built in '88, build date is important, not Model Year or FR. Customs aren't interested what side the steering wheel is on, but to register in most states, you'll have to put it on the right... One has even got a buldge bonnet all ready for a VR6 lump!

Volkswagen Corrado 1.8 G60 as Sports car/Coupe in Furtwangen

Volkswagen Corrado 1.8 G60 as Sports car/Coupe in Herbsleben

Volkswagen Corrado 1.8 G60 as Sports car/Coupe in Holzminden

Volkswagen Corrado 1.8 G60 as Sports car/Coupe in Scherzingen

Date of vehicle for importing is the DAY it left the factory. not what model year it is.

My Blue rocco is an 81 model but left the Karmann factory on 30 Sept 1980 so it was over the 30 year rule, no duty to pay
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...

Quote Originally Posted by roccodingo View Post
    Date of vehicle for importing is the DAY it left the factory. not what model year it is.

My Blue rocco is an 81 model but left the Karmann factory on 30 Sept 1980 so it was over the 30 year rule, no duty to pay
    Which is why i was explaining that some Corrados that are first registered in '89, could have a build date of '88.

Did i not make sense?

so in 6 years my Rado can be driven in any state?
    1988 corrado G60 LHD dark green, full miltek , borbet e's .k w coilovers
    2006 T5 tdi semi auto
    1977 mk1 gls 2 door,1.8 on twin 45 dellorto's
    2002 bora 4 motion,kw coilovers,x force full stainless,r32 rims