Support VWWC

Thread: ‘Last Edition Kombi’ - interested?

Users Country Flag

Exclamation ‘Last Edition Kombi’ - interested?

Hi All,

We are considering to import a couple of the ‘Last Edition Kombi’ to Australia!

Just would like some feedback on what sort of pricing you would be comfortable for:
    • "as is" left hand drive (more a vehicle to garage or to be driven with special permit
    • fully converted to right hand drive - for actual daily use on the road

Volkswagen Kombi production to end with special edition van |Â CarAdvice

Feed back is apreciated!
    Christian Sieg

Users Country Flag
    Hi Christian better to post info on aussieveedubbers & Kombi Club Australia.
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

IN2VWS Guest
    I'd like one, but I think the price will be too much by the time the dealers put their margin on it here.
    They sell for approx. AUD$22k, new, in Brazil at the moment. Add shipping, duty + gst etc, + dealer fees etc. My guess they will be well over $30k here.

Users Country Flag
    I would order only if it was the RHD for daily use and the price range no more than $35k. Let me know when can I order one and what are the options incl. colours.

with the dust and flies in western Victoria
    There's probably not enough enthusiasts here (on this forum) willing to stump up the $80K plus it'd probably cost them for this given the US$38,000 local asking price....and I suspect you'd not get much margin on the import if you retailed it at AU$60K...especially if it had an RHD conversion.

Users Country Flag
    I'd seriously look at switching to one (or a combination) of the following (available in Germany):
    * manual transmission Multivan
    * the long wheelbase Multivan
    * PanAmericana raised 4WD edition.
    Multivan MY12 TSI350 Red. Previous: 2008 Tiguan 103Tdi. 2010 Tiguan 125TSi.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tig-uan View Post
    I'd seriously look at switching to one (or a combination) of the following (available in Germany):
    * manual transmission Multivan
    * the long wheelbase Multivan
    * PanAmericana raised 4WD edition.
    Wow, it would be good to get the specs like those, but I think that it will be only 2WD.

Users Country Flag
    Who's supplying the sacrificial one for crash testing?

There's a bit more to this than bringing a few out, converting them to RHD, and slapping number plates on. Refer to the Scirocco thread regarding importing them before VW decided to get involved.

Honestly, the fact that they're now only deciding to knock them on the head for emissons and safety reasons in South America, means there's little to no chance of them complying to ADRs issued since they were here in full capacity last time.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

You are right Umai the amount of regulations to do a conversion are horrific , a mate of mine imported a Toyota Tundra brand new from the states and the ute cost him a shade over $40k but the conversion and compliance was $38k so total nearly $80K .THEY EVEN HAD TO CHANGE THE BRAND NEW TYRES !!.

Users Country Flag

yes you need RAWS approval, you cant rego it on a restricted rego unless its pre 88, you have to prove it meets ADR's which means sacrificial testing, design of side impact protection and associated testin (read big dollars) you can bring one every 5 years on a private import but you must own and drive it in country of origin for 12 months,
    basically not feasible, thats why it costs so much for converted complianced imports, gov red tape...