Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheels to fit a T5...

Users Country Flag

Wheels to fit a T5...

Hi, I posted this yesterday in the "Wheels etc" forum, but no bites yet, so running it here as well.

Yeah, so...

1) I have an 08 Transporter 128kw and I'm wondering if some of the current model optional T5 VW alloys (as per VW Aust website) will go straight onto my "superceded" model? eg. the 16" Tangis and some of the 17" wheels?

2) I use the van as a car only, it does no work and no heavy lifting. For this reason I have been running Michelin Agilis tyres as they are quite car like in ride comfort etc. I know that I have to have load rated wheels by law but am wondering if anyone knows of some particularly nice aftermarket alloys, probably 16" or 17". Have seen one real nice 5 spoke job previously but I can't remember the brand. Would need something that goes straight on without any offset hassles etc.

Cheers for that, Dubswin.

Be prepared for the flack about fitting none approved wheels from some of the members on here!

I have used BMW X5 wheels on a T5 in the UK and never had any problems.

I know people that have used car rated wheels and not carried massive loads and never had any problems.

Good luck Rob
    Last edited by rob64981; 09-12-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Dubswin. Short answer 'Yes". Long answer is that there are others that may fit and look good. The bolt pattern is 120 x 5 which is also the same as holden and bmw. land rover is close. Just watch your load rating and offset.
    Neil
    '11 Polo TDi auto, White, Sunroof
    '91 Transporter syncro camper

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by njg02 View Post
    Dubswin. Short answer 'Yes". Long answer is that there are others that may fit and look good. The bolt pattern is 120 x 5 which is also the same as holden and bmw. land rover is close. Just watch your load rating and offset.
    Neil
    and i believe some mercedes rims also run the same pcd

IN2VWS Guest
    If you have a 128kw, then the 16" wheels will not fit. You need 17" or larger.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I intend to use the correct load rated wheels. Just wondering what else is available apart from exxy VW ones.

The van is an ex Ambo 128kw one and it is currently fitted with the VW 16" "Miyato" alloys that they all seemed to come with. Just looking for something different.

Anyone interested in the above wheels, good condition apart from a few kerb scratches, with or without rubber?

cheers, Dubswin.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by IN2VWS View Post
    If you have a 128kw, then the 16" wheels will not fit. You need 17" or larger.
    That rule only applies to the T5GP and the TDI400 (132kW) engine. The 128kW in the T5 were actually standard with the 16" wheel in later models (VWA originally brought them out with the 17s but a lot of customers complained as 17" tyres were extremely expensive at the time, especially load rated ones so they reverted to the 16s as a running change)
    Daily Car: Random BMWs | My Toy: R33 Skyline GT-R | GF's Car: 1954 Beetle 'Oval' | Our (Her) Car: Alfa Romeo MiTo Sport

Users Country Flag
    A few things I've found;

- Load rating is important, if you understand it or not, the consequences are dire if things go wrong
    - if you fit non oem wheels make sure that you get a hub centric ring to take up the difference between the alloy and the hub
    - make sure your lugs are the right type for the wheels you use (conical or ball) and are long enough
    - check bolts regularly

Not telling anyone how to go about their business but these are some common sense things to follow.
    2015 Multivan Highline
    1969 Sunbeam Imp Sport 930cc

Hi Dubswin

I have a 2007 t5 128 4 motion with 17" Vw OEM wheels- don't know what they are called though. I am looking for a set of 16" T5 rims and would be happy to exchange mine- just couldn't figure out where you are located (new to this site)
    let me know if you are interested i might even be able to get a photo of them posted

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Hi I am interested in your wheels but don't get to the Tweed very often anymore. I am in Sydney. Let me know how much you want for them.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Hi New Dubber, if you would like to text me please on 0414 997722 to discuss further. Cheers, Dubswin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast