Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel advice T5 2.5 multivan steelies

Users Country Flag

Wheel advice T5 2.5 multivan steelies

Gday guys

Doing some rushed last minute research as I am about to get a set of 16inch steel wheels and put them on my multivan (alloys to steel wheels is he crazy?)
    I am wanting to fix up some rash on the alloys and paint a sweet colour but will undoubtedly take my time so finding a set of cheap wheels seemed like a good idea...

Apart from being slightly skinnier everything else seems fine ie pcd

I just can’t seem to find if the 16 steelies would clear the disc brakes in my 08 2.5 T5 as everyone else online is doing the opposite to me going to a large wheel...
    Only thing worrying me is some t5’s had 17 inch steel wheels and not 16’s

Any advice is appreciated!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by asto View Post
    Gday guys

Doing some rushed last minute research as I am about to get a set of 16inch steel wheels and put them on my multivan (alloys to steel wheels is he crazy?)
    I am wanting to fix up some rash on the alloys and paint a sweet colour but will undoubtedly take my time so finding a set of cheap wheels seemed like a good idea...

Apart from being slightly skinnier everything else seems fine ie pcd

I just can’t seem to find if the 16 steelies would clear the disc brakes in my 08 2.5 T5 as everyone else online is doing the opposite to me going to a large wheel...
    Only thing worrying me is some t5’s had 17 inch steel wheels and not 16’s

Any advice is appreciated!

Cheers

AFAIK - Steelies will have to be VW wheels, as nobody else makes the correct offset. So best to find em on the facebook groups or on here. 16's should be fine as only the 4motion cars had larger front rotors.

I'm about to sell my 16" alloys with tyres in a couple of weeks... (Off a '12 Multivan)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Haydos78 View Post
    AFAIK - Steelies will have to be VW wheels, as nobody else makes the correct offset. So best to find em on the facebook groups or on here. 16's should be fine as only the 4motion cars had larger front rotors.

I'm about to sell my 16" alloys with tyres in a couple of weeks... (Off a '12 Multivan)
    Cheers Haydos

I am fairly certain now they should be sweet but have been talked into just using the money I would spend on the steelies to have my alloys painted professionally

I have the 5 spoke 17’s on my 08 multivan and I think they look pretty cool so a darker grey should be the way to go

Thanks for the wheel offer though!

Users Country Flag
    T5GP (what everyone bizarrely calls a T5.1), with the 2L Bi-Turbo motor had bigger brakes, so minimum 17in wheels.

All the earlier stuff should take 16 steelies, as they had 16in steel wheels on them standard.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    delete pls
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheel advice T5 2.5 multivan steelies-vw-wheels-jpg  
    Last edited by Haydos78; 25-11-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I'm going to powder coat my 17's to look just like these: Can't legally run BFG K02's on a 2wd Multivan in Oz, gonna use Cooper ATT's. 225/60/17XL. Cooper Discoverer ATT™ - Cooper Tires™ Europe Official Website

Wheel advice T5 2.5 multivan steelies-vw-wheels-jpg

I'm going to powder coat my 17's to look just like these: Can't legally run BFG K02's on a 2wd Multivan in Oz, gonna use Cooper ATT's. 225/60/17XL. Cooper Discoverer ATTWheel advice T5 2.5 multivan steelies - Cooper TiresWheel advice T5 2.5 multivan steelies Europe Official Website

Wheel advice T5 2.5 multivan steelies-vw-wheels-jpg
    They look really good! Didn’t know that about the K02’s
    I briefly considered AT’s on the 2wd
    it’s always a debate whether to go swamper looking or make it low

My vans metallic black and I’ll be wrapping the top half either flat grey or an off white so black / anthracite wheels mount suit nicely

Users Country Flag
    Be careful with roof wraps - if you leave it out in the sun all the time and outside at night, you won't be able to get it off after about 2 years. Better off wrapping the sides - a lot less direct sun.

I'll go full swamper look on my next van in a couple of years which will be either a T3 Syncro or T6 4Motion. Can't really do it properly on a 2WD T5.1

Be careful with roof wraps - if you leave it out in the sun all the time and outside at night, you won't be able to get it off after about 2 years. Better off wrapping the sides - a lot less direct sun.

I'll go full swamper look on my next van in a couple of years which will be either a T3 Syncro or T6 4Motion. Can't really do it properly on a 2WD T5.1
    I’m a signmaker! Got access to some pretty top vinyl which has a “lifetime” of 7-9 years but yeh If it’s out in the sun best to be off in 3 if you don’t want to struggle lots

I figure it’ll be worth it short term for reducing heat a little bit when out camping, it’s basically a weekender van
    I’ve dealt with baked vinyl and it’s not fun at all

Mm those are the dream vans, still a slightly more capable 5.1 is good!
    I’ll have to organise a 2wd syncro style decal for it!

Users Country Flag

Haha!! funny me telling a signmaker what to do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast