Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Multivan (MV) would you buy used?

Users Country Flag

What Multivan (MV) would you buy used?

What Multivan (MV) would you buy?
    -T5.2 Highline TDI400
    -T6 Comfortline TDI340
    T6 Highline TDI450
    *4Motion is ideal but low km models are rare (under 80K km). I saw a 2015 MV T5 Highline 4Motion with 30K km at $38K, in NSW the other day. It was advertised and then disappeared on the same day of the listing. I would have bought it but opportunity missed.
    What Multivan (MV) would you buy used?-screen-shot-2020-03-29-9-14-57-am-png

I'm looking at buying a low Km MV. Trying to choose is tough.

I go to the snowfields a lot (every weekend during snow season) and do a lot of mountain biking (MTB). When I travel the MV will allow me to sleep in the vehicle as well. I'd remove the 2nd and 3rd row seats and only reinsert the 2nd row seats when guests visit. This frees up the space I require.

I will not convert this into a camper as it limits resale in the future. I am not desperate to buy as my XC60 T6 has been doing the trick for the last 2yrs with a bike rack and ski racks -but I can still sleep in it as I am 163cm tall.

Thus the MV would make an ideal vehicle. This would be my only vehicle (I'd sell the XC60) and the challenge would be the tall height as a daily driver, due to its size in Canberra covered carparks. I think they should all be OK (Belconnen, where I live) has a 2.3m maximum height limit at the Westfield. I've never had to worry about vehicle height before.

Questions:

1) How "underpowered" is the TDI340 engine? Will it struggle for say highway overtaking (when I need to punch it, will it have the oomph to go)? The reason I am considering the Highline FWD models is because of the more powerful engine (which also has better fuel economy). I can put on snow tyres in the winter (chains when required) and so as long as the MV can get into most campsites without undercarriage damage, then I'm fine (ie Guthega camp sites in Kosciusko National Park). Most normal FWD cars can get into them but having more margin would be ideal (ie. 4Motion). Muddy campsites would be a worry.

2) Reading the reviews, it looks like the T6 had better noise dampening and improved gear changing. Was this noticeable to those that have driven both T5.2 and T6? Or was it a placebo effect?

Thanks.

I have the 4motion t5.1. It's a bit underpowered on the freeways, but it's going to get remapped. It's enough for what you want it to do, cruising at 110 easy. That plus you can load tonnes of stuff into it. If I upgrade it'll be the t6 4motion, but yeah. Hard to find. I'm also running 245 65 17 tyres so that will also take some wind out of the Sails. Hwy driving averaging about 700 to a tank.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Remapping is what I would do as well (I did that on my previous Polo GTi).
    I doubt anybody would be selling their T6 4Motion unless they got into financial difficulties, their kids left the home, or they upgrade to new T6.1 4Motion. I have not seen one show up.
    I'm resided to having to buy new on a T6.1 4Motion, if I want a low km 4Motion...but I have never bought a new car as the depreciation/devaluation on any new vehicle is horrendous. I don't need to keep up with the Jones'.
    I may have to look into a salary sacrificing arrangement from work if I went with that new vehicle option.

I have a 2008 t5 comfortline. My next will likely be a 6.1 highline 4 motion ( or wait a few more years for a T7 or ID Buzz). Yes low km t6 highline 4 motions are rare. I am a little unexcited by the 6.1 dash with its open dash compartments and cup holders on the top of the dash ; the T6 comfort dash looks more elegant and practical in my view. Having said that I will need to see the 6.1 in the flesh with its digital dash to fully assess.

I have looked at V class 250d but not really suitable due to slightly lower internal roof height as I have to fact in a wheelchair hoist in the rear. Also not excited by the look of it.
    Whatever gets purchased will have to do for another ten years or so!
    Cheers,
    Scott.

Users Country Flag
    Our 2010 T5.1 is fantastic plenty of power and it's gone up roads... errrr tacks... surprisingly well for such a heavy 2WD. Even snow (with chains) was pretty good, although I've only done it a handful of times). While I would love a 4Motion, the prices are just waaay up there for what you get. Unless you really need it (which 99% of the time I don't) it's an expensive option.

Pickup around town is more than adequate, on the highway it will get to speed and maintain it without issue. Cruising at 110 even is effortless but overtaking at those speeds isn't quick. I've found that towing my trailer is pretty easy too.

Re-mapping is something I looked into a long while back, my conern is the impact on the DSG. I don't know if that's gotten better over the years.

On sleeping in the van, the back seats can be configured as a bed, the flex board and goodnight package provide curtains and the bits you need (if you don't go custom). Removing the two second row chairs is pretty easy, very heavy and easier with two but possible with one person. The third row is a beast of a thing. Ifyou'r planning on leaving it all out most of the time great! But I'd had to be moving them around too much.

Our is at nearly 210k and is still humming along nicely, it's starting to show signs of wear. The last service hurt after needing dual mass flywheel, timing belts and serpentine belt (which failed a week before it was going in for a service and I tell you that driving that van without power steering is a BITCH!). Even at the better part of $5k it was all maintenance stuff that should see me through another 100k.

The drivers bolster is worn and is something I'd love to replace, the outsides are accruing nicks and scratches due to being such a big vehicle and other people not taking care around it... hell one corner has a scuff thanks to some ****head in a carpark rubbing against it that I can't quite buff out. I'd really love a new one, but between the kids constant mess and the price of a new one, keeping this one for a few more years seems like the better option.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    The TDI340 would be gutless. Over 2 tonnes with a front area the size of the Multivan and only 103kw/340nm. Even with a remap it would still feel like a slug,

At an absolute minimum personally I would not consider anything less than the TDI400 and would then swiftly get it remapped, which would probably make it bearable power-wise. A remapped TDI400 will take you to around TDI450 power specs if not slightly higher.

VW should have put the 3.0L V6 TDI in the Multivan.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    This is just me, but I'd look out for T5.2 TSI350. That is a very rare beast but it has the petrol turbo engine. Easily tuned to 190+kw with great torque and would be decent on fuel on the open road. I have driven 1 and its like a sports car compared to all of the others .... just a sports car with space
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Thanks, you've all confirmed what I had thought.

I know a 2WD will be Ok for my needs, having used my Polo GTi for a couple of ski seasons in the past. I just need to be careful when the vehicle is "articulated" on rough fire roads, or break-over with a long wheelbase.

I will end up buying a cheap set of 16" rims and put winter tyres (and new snow chains to fit) for my snow season use. Yes, they will wear out faster when driving in Canberra in winter, but that's OK for moving a 2+ tonne vehicle with that much momentum when being used for snow. I wouldn't go through the hassle of wheel swaps just for the repeated weekend trips.

The added size of the MV will have daily trade-offs, but that is simply the compromise for size. Even my XC60 T6 has a couple of dings from carparks. Cannot avoid inconsiderate drivers regardless of the vehicle being used. The driver cabin walkthrough and sliding doors are a real bonus for me.

I am not a hooner anymore, but power and acceleration is key. It can get me out of trouble (or not put me in one). My XC60 is nearly twice the power/weight and is AWD, which leads to great acceleration. A people mover will obviously take a different driving style.

I saw a TDI450 MV but it sadly was in gloss black colour. Black paint is the worst colour to keep clean and stop the paint swirl marks from being so visible (having owned a gloss black motorcycle in the past). Black painted vehicles is just not for me.

I am not desperate to buy so can easily hang out to see what shows up. I suspect that with COVID19, the ski season may be closed (Kosciusko NP already closed now). And I have nil MTB trips planned until Nov, so in no real rush at all.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by leegil View Post
    Thanks, you've all confirmed what I had thought.

I am not desperate to buy so can easily hang out to see what shows up. I suspect that with COVID19, the ski season may be closed (Kosciusko NP already closed now). And I have nil MTB trips planned until Nov, so in no real rush at all.
    You will be pleased to hear that the new T6.1 Multivan range will be expanded to include TDI340 4motion in both SWB and LWB. It will be 110kW Euro 5 / 340Nm / 7sp DSG.

I doubt that i will buy new. Too much $$ for me.
    I'm also only interested in SWB as that will meet my needs once all 2nd and 3rd rows removed. LWB would be too long, and it will not fit into my single car garage very well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast