Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Weeman's T4

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Nice trip up Mt Barrow today

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    '89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Looks good buddy , how did it go any issues ?

None! Brilliant van.

'89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Few new additions! We have been away a few times now since my last post and have gotten really sick of lifting the fridge out, the camp box and also getting the solar panel out when needed.

First thing was splitting my fold out solar panel in two, with one half now permanently mounted on the roof, and the other still with a 5 metre long cable and can be moved around, just in case we are parked in the shade.

Next was fridge slide, and some drawers. I used the sheet metal from the window to make a table top. The top drawer has a fridge slide on it that is now a table and also a little chopping board. The lower drawer is just normal. Works a charm now and makes storage so much easier, very happy with the outcome.

'89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Users Country Flag
    Nice work, very clever re-purpose of the old sheet metal, colour matched too! Might have to look into those XTM slider bases, need a few in my build and not sure I can be arsed building them out of wood....
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    Nice work, very clever re-purpose of the old sheet metal, colour matched too! Might have to look into those XTM slider bases, need a few in my build and not sure I can be arsed building them out of wood....
    Cheers mate. Yes it caught my eye in the shed and thought it was a great re-purpose. I actually really rate the XTM stuff so far, I think they are great quality, both the fridge slide and drawers. For a bit more money, definitely a quick and simple process.

'89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Users Country Flag
    Hey Weeman, nice van mate, one of the best looking t4's Ive seen.

What size rivnuts did you use for your internal panels? Did you use the factory holes on the inner skin? I'm currently fitting out my T6 and it has 8mm factory holes which are nicely primd with paint, but they are an inbetween size the for the M5 (7mm hole) or M6 (9mm hole) rivnuts...

Quote Originally Posted by bok View Post
    Hey Weeman, nice van mate, one of the best looking t4's Ive seen.

What size rivnuts did you use for your internal panels? Did you use the factory holes on the inner skin? I'm currently fitting out my T6 and it has 8mm factory holes which are nicely primd with paint, but they are an inbetween size the for the M5 (7mm hole) or M6 (9mm hole) rivnuts...
    Hey mate, cheers its great to have an old van in a tidy, respectable conditon haha.

I used M6's (9mm). And yes I used the 8mm hole, drilled out to 9mm and then just used a cotton tip to apply some paint on the bare metal, then rivnut. I went down this path because I've been working on a budget so was never going to be able to fitout my van in one go, and can now remove the panels. I find the plastic plugs hopeless and basically one time use.. thats why I went for the rivnuts. If you want to go M5's maybe try putting one through an 8mm hole on a spare sheet of metal and see if it grabs well? I've done this on other projects and had good success with it.

'89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeman View Post
    Hey mate, cheers its great to have an old van in a tidy, respectable conditon haha.

I used M6's (9mm). And yes I used the 8mm hole, drilled out to 9mm and then just used a cotton tip to apply some paint on the bare metal, then rivnut. I went down this path because I've been working on a budget so was never going to be able to fitout my van in one go, and can now remove the panels. I find the plastic plugs hopeless and basically one time use.. thats why I went for the rivnuts. If you want to go M5's maybe try putting one through an 8mm hole on a spare sheet of metal and see if it grabs well? I've done this on other projects and had good success with it.

Ahh ok, I reckon I'll drill out to 9mm and re-prime as you've done, seems like the best method. Cheers for the advice

I've been fiddling around with my water system for the van and finally got it finished. I was gifted the KickAss hot water unit from a mate as he struggled to fit it anywhere in his Amarok, I also struggled! With a lot of thinking and ideas thrown around, I finally fixed it to in front of the fridge by strapping it to the handle and rivnutting and fixing some 'feet' to the bottom of it. Works a charm!

Starting from the water source, I bought two 25 litre cubes that I then plumbed together with a few random bits and bobs from Bunnings. These sit nicely in behind my backseat. This gives me 50 litres total which I'm certainly happy with. Buying water tanks to mount under body was just too tricky to get to work and cost too much for my liking.

One of the cubes has a filter attached to the inlet pipe and this feeds around to the water pump (6 litre/min) which I fixed onto the wheel arch. This then feeds to the hot water unit.

I modded a brass tap to fit to the hot water units outlet so I can leave the waterpump turned on and turn the tap on to get cold/hot water. This also means I can add a quick connection to my shower hose for easy attachment. Works a charm, very happy with how it worked out!

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk
    '89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast