Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Weeman's T4

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Installed a Darche Eclipse G2 270 awning today. Heard great feedback about them from some mates so pulled the trigger on one thanks to the recent tax return! I'll need to make some additional brackets for it as it sits a bit too low that the tailgate doesn't go high enough. Went for a trip away last weekend and it drizzled most of the time so looking forward to a bit of shelter next time!

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk
    '89 VW Golf Mk2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Switched my front seats around as the drivers one has started showing lots of wear and tear in one of the bolsters. It wasn't an overly simple job as I could only get about a quarter turn with an allen key on the front bolts so that was a bit annoying. The drivers seatbelt buckle had a sensor in it that needed to be swapped over as well between the seats. About an hours job in the end.

'89 VW Golf Mk2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Welcome to my world , I was a motor trimmer for 50 years plus and seats were my life ! Now I could have offered this bit of advice the whole seat cushion assembly just unclips from the base frame . You could have just swapped over the base cover and its cushion more easily that way .

Electric/heated mirrors installed today, ordered them from UK along with my parts for my mk2, finally arrived after ordering them in February!

'89 VW Golf Mk2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Swivel seat base installed to passenger seat, giving a bit more space to the inside now! I can see why they come with a big price tag, they are a solid piece of kit.

'89 VW Golf Mk2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

New clutch installed today. The old pressure plate had a really bad hotspot in it from when my dad owned it and got stuck trying to pull his boat out with it oops. Its a heavy duty one, pedal is a fair bit firmer now to push in!
    '89 VW Golf Mk2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Added some work lights around the van, make for some great lighting at camp. These are all wired to a key fob so I can switch them on and off remotely! Inspired by a mate who did it on his Triton, awesome little gadget.

'89 VW Golf Mk2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Right, haven't updated this one for a while, been very busy on the golf. But I definitely wanted to add an update because I just changed the clutch and it was the worst experience of my life, took me about 30 hours of struggles. So here is some brief helpful tips:

- There is a stupid shcs when unbolting the gearbox that bolts in from the other direction (east to west). It is the only bolt that bolts to the gearbox from the other way and it is an absolute nightmare to find. It is at the top of the back of the gearbox... goodluck.

- Absolutely need a scissor jack between the sump and the subframe to push the engine as far forward as possible. Some people even go as far as taking the alternator off, but I got it done with the alternator pressed hard up against the radiator.

- Pulling the gearbox in and out requires ALOT of maneouvring. I suggest an engine crane to help (as it keeps it floating, rather than trolley jacks), then just lay underneath it and lift/move it around as necessary.

That's my tips. Never raged harder in my life hahaha. Goodluck to anyone wanting to do it!

Other than that, van looking same old stock standard. Thinking about sending me steelies to the mainland and getting them banded... Here's also a pic of my golf.

Sent from my SM-A146P using Tapatalk
    '89 VW Golf Mk2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Looking good , I miss my old T4 . It was areal goer right up until I drove into the back of a car carrying trailer , I saw what I thought was a car stopped behind the cab of the truck itself when stopped at lights . Bad part was it was a low level long trailer with the car right up against the cab and right at that moment my focus was on a car broken down on the side of the road and then whump ! straight into the rear corner of the trailer. It was one of those ones with a knife style loading ramp and they dont have any protection from a car hitting from behind , when I looked out the drivers window my front wheel was under the door , the trailer cut right through beside the headlight and tore the outer door skin right back to the door pillar . End of T4 . My son had a T4 later which was the slow 2.4 non turboed diesel model , I bought a 2.5 petrol one off Ebay for $3500 . Picked it up from Coffs Harbour and drove it back to home in Brissie , a week later I had done a complete transplant so he could have the better powered petrol engine . So engine gearbox exhaust fuel system engine wiring body control module and instrument cluster all swapped over . I got very good at removing the engine gearbox all at once as I removed the whole front grill etc with a engine lift I hired . After finishing his I refitted all the diesel stuff into the ebay van tidied it up fixed some trim and some small paint work and listed it back on Ebay and got $4500 for it . Yes I can sympathise about gearbox removal as I had to replace the clutch in my T5 , that was a mongrel job lying on my back with the van up on stands and maneuvering the box out resting on my gut !!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345