Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weeman's T4

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Been working hard for the last month, finally deadened, insulated, carpeted out the van and ran all the electrics, re-adjusted the bed frame to fit and now its all together! Looking forward to going on a trip over the coming weeks as the weather gets better.

Installed some touch sensitive lights, installed numerous lights wired to the switch panel, usb plugs both side, 3 cigarette sockets and then the dual battery system with a smart isolator (DCDC too expensive on my budget). All panels have been bolted in using rivnuts, allowing for me to take them off in the future for other changes. Still got some more things in the future like a solar panel and battery monitor but they can wait. Very excited, it finally has come together.

Cheers,
    Thomas

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Weeman; 13-08-2021 at 06:31 PM.
    '89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Not too bad , from a motor trimmer you have done well for a handyman . I might not have agreed with the fasteners used but as you said in case you make changes to the interior it was the best way , for that side step you could check out the hardware shops for an alloy strip with a lip to overlap the top surface of the carpet and screw it to the ply . There are also some alloy cover strips that could be used to cover the join in the roof , just make sure you mark where there is suitable places for the screws to go into and be very careful when drilling so you dont go through the roof itself I used to use a piece of hard plastic tube over the drill bit to prevent going too far in. Did you get some clues from my sons one I posted a few posts ago ?

Na it was all my own thinking. That strip for the roof I'm waiting new plastic clips to put the original piece back in and yea I might look into an alloy piece to cover the step. Otherwise a nice plastic step ordered from the UK would be good, once I am happy to pay the horrid shipping fees...

'89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Best VW van!

'89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Quote Originally Posted by Weeman View Post
    Na it was all my own thinking. That strip for the roof I'm waiting new plastic clips to put the original piece back in and yea I might look into an alloy piece to cover the step. Otherwise a nice plastic step ordered from the UK would be good, once I am happy to pay the horrid shipping fees...

Not sure if the original plastic step would fit now that you have made the floor somewhat thicker than standard .

I was indicating the raised aftermarket ones they make to suit vans with floors installed. Found a loose piece of alloy floating around so might go for that method instead.
    '89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

seems to be a nice car..
    upgrade it well..
    All the best

Headlight upgrade harness installed to help with my new LED globes so that I have correct voltage at headlights. Put a new aluminium lip in on the step to hide the ply and insulation. And finally a new window in today which I'm very pleased with, love the look of it too. Will hopefully get to tinting the rest of the van to match now!

Last edited by Weeman; 26-11-2021 at 02:44 PM.
    '89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

To top it all off, got some toys to finish off really all I want for the T4. 120Ah AGM deep cycle battery, fits absolutely spot on in the battery box. An Opposite Lock 150W solar panel, that just alligator clips straight onto the 2nd battery, then finally a 45L Dometic single zone fridge! We couldn't decide for whether to go for a single or dual zone fridge/freezer but considering we only go away 2 to 3 nights tops, the extra money for the dual zone just wasn't worth it. Time for some cool drinks I'd say

Cheers,
    Thomas

'89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

I have been looking for a cheap way to install a roof basket and ended up making my own mounts. I bought 2nd hand roof basket and bought mounts/tracks just from hardware store, using T extrusions and heavy duty right angle brackets. Lots of rivets and a few rivnuts and its worked a charm.

Also leaves just enough room for a solar panel to go in front!

'89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast