Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Weeman's T4

Yes loved my T4 2.5 petrol engined one right up until I hit the back of a car transporter trailer , crushed the drivers side guard headlight and the door skin right back to the door lock along with the whole front wheel and axle . Even buckled the roof as well , I nearly cried as I put so much stuff into that van it took me half a day just to remove the stereo as when the insurance wrote it off I dove in and took out everything that wasn,t bolted down ! The fire brigade turned up as it spilt its guts out onto the road by the axle being torn out of the gearbox , they had to mop up the oil for safety reasons . PS I walked away without a scratch as the trailer frame didn,t get past the inner door strengthener missed me by about 100mm .

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    That doesn't sound good! Glad your alright

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    '89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

As far as I know the old van got sold at Auction as a repairable right off , would be nice to know it survived as it was only 5 years old at the time . From memory it was bought by someone from down south as they rang me from the business number on the van at the time to find out its mechanical history .It would be fairly easy to identify as it would at the time be the only T4 with a fully built in sliding sunroof as I was fitting them back then .
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 26-05-2021 at 02:45 PM.

Few replacements today, had a snapped aerial and put on clear lights, makes it look a bit less of a work van.

'89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

I haven't got anything interesting to say except I think your van looks very tidy & from what you have said I think it will remain that way.
    I have a stock standard Syncro Trakka but with the TDI engine. The only mod I have done is to replace the original interior light with one from a Seat something or other [probably a Cordoba] that has a separate switch & light for the navigator. I had a friend change the time delay with a different resistor & change it to LED. It fitted perfectly & only cost a few dollars from U Pull it.
    My van is a '01 & has done around 134,000km.I will probably keep it until they take my license away.
    I just thought of something to keep a look out for. They tend to form rust in the lower windscreen area. Mine had a very small spot when I bought it in '08. I put a very small amount of fisholine on the spot when it was completely dry. I check it every now & then & even though it hasn't grown at all I have put a second coat on it.
    Enjoy your van.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

@jets checked my rain tray area the other day, have some paint peeling, but no rust. The only rust is in the gutter seals that I will fix sometime. Sounds like you got a neat one too

'89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Ply wood floor installed, had to shape it around my rear seat. Have got some insulation ordered to go underneath then can put my carpet back over the top and fix it down. Rear seats are easily removable and also fold over forwards so are extremely handy for putting a bed frame and drawers around. Everything from here on will bolt into the ply wood, want to avoid drilling into the van sheet metal.

'89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Quote Originally Posted by Weeman View Post
    @jets checked my rain tray area the other day, have some paint peeling, but no rust.
    I know I said in the lower windscreen area, but specifically just under the lower edge of the windscreen rubber. VW, to their credit
    anticipated this could be a potential for rust to form & have 3 small drain points in the panel. Mine formed away from one of those.
    Over the years, I have seen many T4s with rust forming in this area.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Been spending a fair bit of time over the last week to get this bed frame in. Basically a list of things it needed to be able to do:

- Slide/extend out to clear the folded down rear seats which were 550mm high.
    - Be lightweight but still strong enough for my wife and I.
    - Easily removeable.
    - Allow for draws and other items to be installed underneath.
    - Pack away tightly.

Made it all out of aluminium and used little plastic connectors for joins to save welding. There are two bases and these slide into each other with 1000mm heavy duty drawer slides. The wooden slats also slide in between each other to help it pack up nicely. I installed two side rails on foldable brackets that will stay permanently installed on the van, but look nice and tidy and still stay out of the way. These basically make it a floating bed. 4 legs were installed too, two at the front, one in the middle and one at the back, which still gives good room for big items to still fit underneath.

I've tried to attach the pictures in the installation order! Honestly I am really happy with this. It was a little expensive using all the aluminium and other things such as the folding brackets (8 in total) and the heavy duty drawer slides, but it had to be done. Just want to give the alumnium a good polish now!

Cheers,
    Thomas

'89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

I also recovered all the interior boards with Car Builder's dark grey carpet.

Something else too has been fitting electric windows using all the items from a Caravelle. The loom plugs into the fusebox and runs to both windows, where I swapped the manual regulator the electric regulator. Then just used a little dremel to cut tidy holes in the door cards for the factory switches. So much better than the horrid manual windows! Didn't take any pics of the install process.

'89 VW Golf MK2 2dr VR6
    '96 VW Golf Mk3 2dr
    '02 VW Transporter SWB

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast