Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VW T6.1 Multivan from order to first 2000km

Users Country Flag

Post VW T6.1 Multivan from order to first 2000km

I’d like to share my new experiences with VW T6.1 multivan for anyone who’s interested.

Order:
    I ordered the van (premium comfortline) in early November 2020, added a lot of options (e.g. digital dashboard, LED lights etc) but front-wheel drive only. I got the official confirmation 2 weeks later saying the order had been accepted.

The scheduled build time was Feb 2021 and delivery was June 2021.

The planned build time is more or less accurate. The delivery was actually one month earlier because they put the van to an earlier ship which went though west coast of Africa, luckily for that the Suez channel drama did not affect it since the route bypassed it.

From the van landed in Port Melbourne, it took another 2 weeks till the actual delivery.

Impression during run-in:
    The van started a little bit rough for the first 500km, then started getting better with more km being done.

The first DPF re-gen kicked in within 200km. At 2000km, it kicks in between every 300km-400km depends on the driving styles. The re-gen process kicks in regardless if the van is station or moving, as long as the engine is turned on. Generally it takes around 18 min to finish the process, reducing the soot from the threshold (around 30 g) to 8g.

The combine fuel efficiency is around 7.6l/100km. Given the tank is 80L, easily you can go more than 1000km per tank.

As I used to drive Nissan Elgrand which is quite soft, the van can handle the drive really well. All the safety features are very good, give you peace of mind.

There are three drawbacks so far for me:

• Some small rattling sound from dashboard when driving on rough surface, which might be just my van. But it shows vw might have used too many plastics.
    • You can get reflection of the folder storage area on top of the dashboard on the front windscreen on a sunny day, which is really annoying as it distracts your vision. I need to wear polarised sunnies to offset that.
    • Android auto can drop out sometimes when there is big bump or interferences.

Overall it’s a good van. I would not trade it for T7 as I need it to be working like a tradesman’s van than just a family people mover.
    Last edited by lrog; 24-06-2021 at 11:02 AM.

Users Country Flag
    What are you using to monitor your DPF activity? VAGDPF? Or do the new vans have some info about the DPF available on the dashboard?

My 2015 Audi SQ5 has nothing about the DPF so using the VAGDPF app is fantastic to know what is going on.

Got any photos of the new van?
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 24-06-2021 at 12:46 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah, I use VAGDPF for day to day monitoring. I also have Carista app which can turn on re-gen anytime you want. Wish they surface that information on the dash, which will be great for planning your trips.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos, but it's a "Bay leave green" van.
    Last edited by lrog; 24-06-2021 at 01:40 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by lrog View Post
    Yeah, I use VAGDPF for day to day monitoring. I also have Carista app which can turn on re-gen anytime you want. Wish they surface that information on the dash, which will be great for planning your trips.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos, but it's a "Bay leave green" van.
    Yes I have Carista also. Its handy and good for the price, but the interface is slow - especially the inital connection to the car each time you want to use it. The DPF info is only a relatively new addition to Carista - and although its handy, its not as good info as what VAGDPF has.

So what engine etc is in your van. Is it the 110 or 145TDI? Are they twin turbo or single turbo nowadays? How do you find the power? Adequate to get it moving ok?
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Carista does full scan for initial load hence it's slow in that whereas VAGDPF directly accesses the can bus to get data without other stuff hence it's quicker and more suitable for day to day use.

here is the spec for all the multivans:
    VW T6.1 Multivan from order to first 2000km-screen-shot-2021-06-24-2-33-51-pm-jpg
    So for comfortline premium, they are all TDI340 110kw single turbo.
    I don't have any issues with the power, feel really strong when fully loaded. I have to get used the turbo though as it has delays when flooring it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VW T6.1 Multivan from order to first 2000km-screen-shot-2021-06-24-2-31-26-pm-jpg  
    Last edited by lrog; 24-06-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by lrog View Post
    I have to get used the turbo though as it has delays when flooring it.
    You will probably find the issue here is the throttle delay due to the electronic throttle pedal. Instead of a physical cable linking the pedal to the throttle body on the engine, modern cars use an electronic throttle pedal which sends a signal via the ECU to the engine. You can buy a throttle controller which speeds up the signal to significantly reduce the lag. I have a Torqit throttle controller in the SQ5 because it had a bad throttle delay too - but there are plenty of companies who make a similar device. Much much better now. They are adjustable so you can find the sweet spot for your particular vehicle and to suit your preference.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 25-06-2021 at 09:09 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    You will probably find the issue here is the throttle delay due to the electronic throttle pedal. Instead of a physical cable linking the pedal to the throttle obdy on the engine, modern cars use an electronic throttle pedal which sends a signal via the ECU to the engine. You can buy a throttle controller which speed up the signal to significantly reduce the lag. I have a Torqit throttle controller in the SQ5 because it had a bad throttle delay too - but there are plenty of companies who make a similar device. Much much better now. They are adjustable so you can find the sweet spot for your particular vehicle and to suit your preference.
    good to know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Got any photos of the new van?
    Here it comes...
    VW T6.1 Multivan from order to first 2000km-pxl_20210626_011833763-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Nice colour - its a smart looking van. Colour certainly stands out from the sea of white & grey etc.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Glad you're happy with your new van, we ordered ours - LWB 4 motion with lots of extras on August 18th 2020... and it's finally arrived in Australia ... the dealer said we should get it later next week... it's been quite a wait.

seadog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast