Support VWWC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VW T5 New Wheels All Terrains Need Feedback

Best way I found to fit an oversize tyre is to make sure the rear support strap is on the lowest hole and then put the wheel into place and jack the very end of the rear part until you can start the bolt after that its a breeze .

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtee View Post
    Murphenzo, thanks for yr reply, I did try to do that today with a bottle jack and plank of wood, not very successful.
    I'll have another go tomorrow with a cargo strap and try to deform the flat tyre into an oval.
    I see you have never had a flat so you've not had to pull the spare out, I hope it never has to be done out in the bush
    Rtee
    Yeah! Not looking forward to the day I need to use it! :0

It certainly would be nice to have a better solution.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks to Murphenzo and Sunny43.5 for the inspiration to stuff this oversize spare into its spot. Two and a half hours it took me, I eventually jacked the van up and then lowered it onto blocks of wood to squeeze the spare up into the well. It was not easy at all and I am not going to do that out in the scrub anywhere. Frontline in Sydney have a method to "modify" the tray to accommodate an oversize tyre, we are having a diesel heater fitted there next month, so I hopefully I can get them to modify ours. The other alternative would be a Seikel oversize tyre tray, but at 450 Euro plus delivery I reckon that's a bit much.

Is it the diameter that's the issue or the width ?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Is it the diameter that's the issue or the width ?
    I would have thought they are both the same...the tyre is too big in diameter for the length of the tray AND I think the plastic shrouding under neath takes up a bit of room and could be cutaway, this might be what Frontline do, I will find out hopefully, in a month.

Users Country Flag
    Is there any rear wheel carrier to fit on the Transporters?
    Perhaps with the towing hitch combo.

Users Country Flag
    I am not sure how to link to another thread on this forum so I just copied the title....
    Tailgate Tyre/Jerrycan carrier.

If that doesn't work then here is the URL to a place that has made one for a T5, cant remember where I saw it though.
    I did not want to go that way to try and keep the weight down..not to mention the dollars.
    Last edited by Rtee; 08-06-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Thank you Rtee

Reviving an old thread. Out of interest any update on how frontline modify the spare wheel carrier?

Also keen to know about what frontline do.

Attempting to get a 245/65/17 in my spare wheel carrier as a matching spare for my amarok wheels.

Will try deflating it first as others have had success with but it seems miles off at the moment.
    Also think the I need to get my hands on the longer carrier bolt if anyone knows where to get a part number.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast