Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vw t5 with amarok wheels

Vw t5 with amarok wheels

Will Amarok 16" wheels with 245/70/16 tyres fit on a T5 2008 without rubbing and will the speedo be out?? And if the speed needs recalibration what can one expect to pay?

Thanks in advance.

Hi mate. I've got Amarok 16 inch steelies in 235/70R16 BF Goodrich AT's. Almost no rubbing on full lock but if the plastic inside the wheel arch is deformed at all it may rub. Speedo is a touch out, gps 100kmh vw 98kmh. Hope this helps

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

245/65/R17. These were amarok wheels, slight rub on full lock , just trimmed the plastic a bit.
    I have adjusted speedo with VCDS cuz it was about 11kmh out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi rich543, your van looks great, well done. I have purchased the same wheels and tyres as yours and I have a few questions if you don't mind?
    1) Was the VCDS expensive, where did you buy it?
    2) Does the spare wheel fit easily?
    3) Do you know if its necessary to run the larger size brake rotors (i am upgrading from 215/65/16) or is the difference in braking performance not noticeable?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyT5 View Post
    Hi rich543, your van looks great, well done. I have purchased the same wheels and tyres as yours and I have a few questions if you don't mind?
    1) Was the VCDS expensive, where did you buy it?
    2) Does the spare wheel fit easily?
    3) Do you know if its necessary to run the larger size brake rotors (i am upgrading from 215/65/16) or is the difference in braking performance not noticeable?
    Hey mate.

1)I was lucky got vcds cable & small laptop all for $100Vw t5 with amarok wheels
    2) guy I bought wheels off only had 4 , so still have original for spare. Vw t5 with amarok wheels
    3) I still use same size rotors just changed them for the slotted ones , seems ok.

If your any where near Gold Coast, I’m more than happy to help you out with VCDS
    Cheers
    Riche Vw t5 with amarok wheelsVw t5 with amarok wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have fitted the Amarok wheels and thought I would share my experience with everyone. Firstly, my van is a 2008 SWB, 4 Motion, 2.5tdi transporter. Standard 6.5 inch wide steel wheels 215/65/16 tyres. The Amarok wheels i have purchased are 8 inch wide with 245/65/17 Bridgestone HT D684 lll duelers. The rears fit ok. It's pretty tight and I had to bend a small section of the heat shield but it was very easy to do.
    The front is another story. The drivers side rubs in a few places. Full lock left it hits the plastic engine protector (this might be a 4motion only part?) . The protector could be trimmed or braced to avoid this. Full lock right brings the rearmost sidewall into contact with one of the the control arms. The passenger side also rubs in two places on the engine protector. It would require a fair bit of plastic to be chopped out. The spare wheel doesn't fit, not even close. I removed the hinge pin from the carrier and dropped it to the lower position but it was no help. The wheel is simply too wide and too tall to fit. The torque is noticeably lower and second gear rolling starts are not as easy as before. On the positive side the ride is definitely more plush and for the first time ever my speedo is accurate.

Vw t5 with amarok wheels-20210402_174307-jpgVw t5 with amarok wheels-20210402_160612-jpgVw t5 with amarok wheels-20210402_160620-jpg
    Loving my Amarok Canyon wheels, 17X8 inch. Drives nice to me with 235/65/17 all terrain tyres, so much better offroad soaking up the bumps and grip. Only tiny scrub on full right lock, should be easily cured trimming some plastic. Fits into spare tyre carrier on lower setting using the deflated 'jack it in' method, haven't tried removing the tire from the carrier yet though!

Have to decide now if I should actually go ahead with the raised king springs I have, will I really benefit that much offroad from further lift? Seems my van is still under 2m total height, handy around Sydney carparks.

PS for serious offroad, I think these rims sit a bit proud with this size tyre and could get scratched up, though I'm not aiming for rock crawling myself.

Hi Folks............replaced my 225/65/16 steelies on my 2008 LWB T5 MOTION DOUBLE Cab with alloy Amarok 245/65/17 Duelers I got for $60 . No rubbing on front wheel arches and none on rear which has an alloy tray with folded guards. Torque is noticeably less in 5th and 6th gear and cruise control gets screwed consistently on hills and I have to drop a cog or two to bring it back up to the speed limit which is a pain. When the rubber wears on the duelers I'm looking at going to 235/60/17s which only has a 2.2% 699 to 714 diameter size difference compared to the 225/65/16s and I hope that brings the torque up again otherwise if I have to go to 225/60/17 they may not be wide enough/suitable for the rim. The Amarok wheels also messed up the speedo and I ended up buying a HUD on Ebay to sort that out. They do look a lot better than the steelies. Feel free to comment/add your 2cents worth.

Interesting that the 245/65/17 didn't rub in your front wheel arches but tiny bit of rub prior to trimming from my 235/65/17. Is yours lifted @DOUBLECAB?

Quote Originally Posted by heyasam View Post
    Interesting that the 245/65/17 didn't rub in your front wheel arches but tiny bit of rub prior to trimming from my 235/65/17. Is yours lifted @DOUBLECAB?
    Nope...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast