Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vw t5 with amarok wheels

This is a topic that is current in my mind as well.

I've got the standard 215/65/16s but have got 255/55/18s waiting in the wings to be bolted on in the next few weeks. Thing is, the tyres are a bit worn on the 18s so I'm thinking if I can go to 255/60/18s with no downside. I was told that 255/55/18s had no rubbing so am just curious if anyone is running with the higher profile setup (255/60/1 and can comment on whether they have experienced rubbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerel View Post
    This is a topic that is current in my mind as well.

I've got the standard 215/65/16s but have got 255/55/18s waiting in the wings to be bolted on in the next few weeks. Thing is, the tyres are a bit worn on the 18s so I'm thinking if I can go to 255/60/18s with no downside. I was told that 255/55/18s had no rubbing so am just curious if anyone is running with the higher profile setup (255/60/1 and can comment on whether they have experienced rubbing.
    Can't comment on your rubbing question.

But when you put the 18's on let us know what it does to your top end torque and how your cruise control likes it, thanks.

Tyre Size Calculator

Going from 215/65/16 to 255/55/18 you gain 51mm (bit over 2") in height and your revs go down.

Going from 215/65/16 to 255/60/18 you gain 76mm (3") in height and your revs go down even more.

Quote Originally Posted by DOUBLECAB View Post
    Will Amarok 16" wheels with 245/70/16 tyres fit on a T5 2008 without rubbing and will the speedo be out?? And if the speed needs recalibration what can one expect to pay?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi
    I have tried this on my T5 Caravelle 4-Motion (2009).
    The tyres won't rub except at hard full lock, HOWEVER the brake calipher unit will bind against the inside of the front wheel rims.
    The external left and right edge corners of the caiipher unit was the problem with the rims I tried.

You would need to trim about 2 or 3 mm off those corners to give enough clearance but you'd also need to add about a 3 to 5mm wheel spacer to centre the tyre with the same offset as the original rims. Longer wheel bolts would be required. (one of the tyre web sites has a calculator where this can be viewed).

The speedo would read about 3 kilometres under the actual speed.
    The torque band would be off and a manual gear change requires a slightly higher speed - I'm not sure about automatics though.
    The fuel economy could be adversely affected.

None of the above is legal and I am definitely not advocating you do this.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by jjhobart View Post
    Hi
    I have tried this on my T5 Caravelle 4-Motion (2009).
    The tyres won't rub except at hard full lock, HOWEVER the brake calipher unit will bind against the inside of the front wheel rims.
    The external left and right edge corners of the caiipher unit was the problem with the rims I tried.

You would need to trim about 2 or 3 mm off those corners to give enough clearance but you'd also need to add about a 3 to 5mm wheel spacer to centre the tyre with the same offset as the original rims. Longer wheel bolts would be required. (one of the tyre web sites has a calculator where this can be viewed).

The speedo would read about 3 kilometres under the actual speed.
    The torque band would be off and a manual gear change requires a slightly higher speed - I'm not sure about automatics though.
    The fuel economy could be adversely affected.

None of the above is legal and I am definitely not advocating you do this.

Regards

Did you read my post no 8 ??

Btw I also first went through the Amarok 16" wheel exercise (and there is a thread somewhere on the forum about that exercise).....the bottom line is that the T5 Motions have larger brakes on the front because the T5 motion is a heavier vehicle than the Amarok.

Believe the Amarok 16"s will fit on the standard T5's (non Motion) because they have the same size front brakes as the Amarok.

Hi Guys.............further my post no 8.

Now at the point where I'm looking at changing the tyres and am looking at 'fixing' the torque problems the extra height/diameter of the 245/65/17's compared to the 225/65/16 steelies (50mm height difference) that were on originally.

So looking at putting on 235/60/17's which will result in only a 15mm height difference to the original 225/65/16's and will give me more revs/torque.

So as I need a load rating of a minimum of 103, I have discovered my tyre choices are limited to Comforser LT 117 load @ $110ea, Michelin @ $275ea and Dunlop @$225ea all LT's.

But I can get Cooper ATT's with a load rating of 103 for $210ea

So its a toss up between the Comforser LT's and the Cooper ATT's

I had Comforsers on my 16" steelies and they were a solid stiff ride and good value for my $.

So my question Guys, is, have any of you had Cooper ATT's and would like to give me your feedback on them??

Users Country Flag
    I’ve had Coopers on Tiguan and Amarok. They never disappointed me and always get at least 70,000km out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I’ve had Coopers on Tiguan and Amarok. They never disappointed me and always get at least 70,000km out of them.
    Thanks....................btw what's your current ride and what rubber are you running?

I have 235/60/16 Cooper ATT on my t5 4 motion, probably slightly stiffer tyre than Bridgestone tyres that were on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12