Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: VW T5.1 excessive oil use

VW T5.1 excessive oil use

Hi everyone. Just wanted to inform everyone of the issues that I'm currently dealing with, and others around the globe are also having.
    I own a 2010 T5.1 Tarnsporter 4motion LWB, BiTurbo. Has been losing oil for about a year now.
    And I'm talking serious oil - prob put 30-40 litres oil over that time!
    VW dealer cannot find source of this loss and I have commenced a 1000km oil consumption test.
    The dealer basically said that if it uses more than 0.5 Litres per 1000km, then a new engine is required!
    Am out of warranty, the vans only done 135,000km. Not sure if VW Australia would cover this cost.

It seems to be happening to models from 2010 on.

The fault - Piston ring failure I think...

VW have issued a TPI number 2039830/5
    In summary the TPI says;
    Excessive oil consumption = worn cylinder walls = Replace base Engine, Cat, DPF, Lambda probe, new software.

Lots of info here: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=446408

and here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads...1-calis.11145/

And a dedicated Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vwcfca/

Will update results of my consumption test, and outcome of any dealings with VW.

Cheers

Sounds like a problem I had with Ford Australia many long years ago , bought a brand new Falcon ute and it was using 1 litre per 1000 kays . They did the test and said yes a problem turned out the bore was somehow machined out of round so the the gap in the oil rings were at the widest point so oil was going straight past the rings .

Users Country Flag
    I've been following this topic closely and you are one of the first Australian vehicles to come up, I would suggest being out of warranty you hit VW Aus hard for some good will towards the replacement engine and use the examples from OS dealers.
    I would though be pushing for all costs covered as VW have now admitted, via the TPI, that there is a problem.

Users Country Flag
    That was a disturbing read, i didn't read the Facebook post as i'm not on facebook.

It seems that is was a the 132kw in the year 2010-2011, CFCA engine. and it appears that VW fixed the issue after 2011.

With all the evidence, it wouldn't prove hard to show it's not fit for purpose as the issues are happening out of the warranty period due to low milage during warranty period.

Although the best anyone has gotten from VW UK is a 70% rebate on the engine replacement. (still this is better than nothing)

This guy Ivor's vinyl wrap worked for him, i'd be doing the same thing and parking it outside the dealership until it was resolved in writing.

VW T5.1 excessive oil use-9qbg3l-jpg

I saw that pic too while searching - that's classic!
    Am around 400km into my 1000km oil test, no oil light yet. Will keep u posted on my outcome with VW geelong.

Someone mentioned that 10w40 505 spec oil might be thicker and last longer. Something to consider, but at the moment it feels like the power available in my 132kw has dropped around 10%. And the economy prob 20% worse. So would rather have it back to where it was before all this **** startled happening.

Users Country Flag
    Hopefully it gets resolved in your favour,

I wouldn't try the different spec oil unless it is VW Geelong's idea, they may use the wrong type of oil against you, even thought it happened before the oil issue.

Try can keep all records of communication, if you can in Victoria, i'd be legally recording the dealings with Vw Geelong. Whether you let them know your recording is up to you, i'm not sure whats legal down there and these recorders are cheap as chips.

But if all else fails, use one of these and walk away

VW T5.1 excessive oil use-e3829f89-19de-420f-bfee-58ca1fa76477-jpg
    "This is a joke by the way, for those keyboard warriors"

Users Country Flag
    I've never saw an excessive oil usage in the T5's where owners were servicing at 12months/15,000km, whichever comes first intervals.

Also would suggest the first oil change much sooner than at 15,000km, for those of you with a brand new van.
    Last edited by Transporter; 06-02-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I've never saw an excessive oil usage in the T5's..........
    That may be the case in general. But regarding the T5.1 years 2010 & 2011, it would appear that despite servicing according to the schedule, a defective engine is still a defective engine.

Looks like I'm number 2 then, only done 91000. 2011 using oil and dpf stuffed. Good luck guys!

Users Country Flag

Hopefully, if this becomes an issue, there will be strength in numbers

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast