Support VWWC

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: VW T5.1 excessive oil use

Users Country Flag

506.1 was required in T5s with the 2.5 TDI, prior to 8/2007.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    I'm quite sure it was prior 7/2006.

Users Country Flag
    You could well be correct.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

From our book 2.5 128 kw AXE with long life service program QG1 VW 506 01 without long life service program QGO or QG2 VW 505 01

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    From our book 2.5 128 kw AXE with long life service program QG1 VW 506 01 without long life service program QGO or QG2 VW 505 01
    That's from 2004/2005 book and corrected later as far as I know.

Many earlier T5s with 2.5 TDI used wrong oil specs and paid the price later. The Penrite back then had an oil with not approved specs HPR0 0W-30 (506.01) and also HPR Diesel5 5W-40, but soon stopped recommending it to be used where VW506.01 is required. The Castrol only supplier of approved VW506.01 was supplying only to VW dealers, in other words, you couldn't buy it, or order it even if you were retailer or workshop.
    Later, around 2009/10 you could get Fuchs/TITAN oil that was VW506.01 approved. Today there is also LIQUI MOLY with the right specs for before 7/2006 T5s AXD and AXE engines without DPF.

Use anything else in these engines and they will not last!

I currently own a 4motion 5.1 2010 CFCA powered Transporter ex Ambo purchased 2014. No oil consumption around town but up the highway exceeded 2 ltr / 1000km. Local Dealer took my case to VWA in late 2014 at 115000 km.They finally came back with an offer of 70% of Parts and Labour for rebuilt engine including new long motor and cylinder head. It included 2 year Parts Warranty and cost me around $4.5K which I considered a reasonable deal for a new engine. I am a qualified Diesel Mechanic but try as I may I could not get a straight answer as to cause of the problem or access to the failed engine .Feel free to PM me for specific details. Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Hi Wanderingwilson,

Thanks for posting about your issue and offering the affected guys, specific details via pm.

It would have been nice to know what the problem, but i would imagine VW would keep that card close to its chest.

$4.5k for a new engine is pretty good.

Not 100% certain of this but I am sure I read somewhere that VW deliberately build the engines these days with a certain amount of tolerance in the bore and pistons etc. Apparently the thinking was to reduce the amount of run in time where the first wear and tear would occur , so that could be the reason for early oil consumption . The only down side of that thinking is if the tolerance is too excessive at the start of the engines life it would only be logical to expect oil consumption to get worse as time goes on . I also believe its morally wrong and maybe illegal for a car maker to get an oil and then make it exclusively their own so as to prevent anyone else from getting access . A bit like a few years back when car makers were trying to stop unauthorised mechanics from getting access to factory codes and updates etc . Apparently this was challenged in the US and they stopped it from happening , I don't think they tried any further with Australia thank goodness .

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Not 100% certain of this but I am sure I read somewhere that VW deliberately build the engines these days with a certain amount of tolerance in the bore and pistons etc. Apparently the thinking was to reduce the amount of run in time where the first wear and tear would occur , so that could be the reason for early oil consumption . The only down side of that thinking is if the tolerance is too excessive at the start of the engines life it would only be logical to expect oil consumption to get worse as time goes on . I also believe its morally wrong and maybe illegal for a car maker to get an oil and then make it exclusively their own so as to prevent anyone else from getting access . A bit like a few years back when car makers were trying to stop unauthorised mechanics from getting access to factory codes and updates etc . Apparently this was challenged in the US and they stopped it from happening , I don't think they tried any further with Australia thank goodness .
    You might as well be talking about the VOLVO. You can get their latest oil exclusively from the dealers only.

Users Country Flag

Ok I've been following this in the UK for a while now as I own a 2nd hand 2104 Biturbo CFCA motor I'm a bit concerned.
    It appears that all CFCA models with a "A-C" Suffix on there EGR will be affected in some time. What happens is the fins in the EGR foul up and can't handle the heat then corrode, break apart and all of the waste goes into the oil in the motor and completely stuffs the motor. If you are losing oil it's too late, you will need to get a compression test done on your van to see what bores have been affected. Running clean oil and flushing the motor out a couple of times may help but the damage has already been done. For some reason if you go over 110km per hour you will see more oil consumption, I guess the thinner oil just burns through the rings.

So far over 150 Biturbo vans in Germany have been affected follow it here https://tx-board.de/threads/oelverbr...zaehler.94482/

The FB page for monitor is here https://www.facebook.com/groups/vwcfca/

I think everyone here who owns a Biturbo should join the FB page just so you can keep up with what's happening.

Here's an article from Norway about the ambulances with a CFCA motor. It was published in 2016 where VW replaced the whole fleet because of the "A" suffix EGR cooler problem.

https://honestaboutcars.com/tag/engine-replacement-t5/
    2014 T5 132Kw Twin Turbo, 2016 "D" Suffix EGR Cooler, 4 Motion, 7Spd DSG + Diff Lock, Frontline Camper.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast