Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: VW T5.1 excessive oil use

Quote Originally Posted by saltd0g View Post
    Facebook group, here you will find details on how to determine if you have the EGR COOLER which corrodes and destroys piston rings and allows the high oil consumption

VW T5.1 / T6 excessive oil use for CFCA 2.0 180hp engines. public group | Facebook
    Hi, I have the 2009 2.5 tdi motor . Does this model have the EGR Cooler that corrodes and destroys piston rings ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I've finally had this looked at by VW dealer, and diagnosed as an engine failure requiring replacement. It is the 2.0TDI (twin turbo) and I've had the vehicle off the road for 4 out of 8 months now. BUT, I was called today and told that since the age of the vehicle (MY2011) and the kms (147k) they wont be able to help me with costs on replacement, I was told $13k just for the motor not including labour. I think I've been calm n responsive up until now, but reading here so many stories of first and second owners having their engines replaced, I'm not about to stand by and give VW my money for this fix. I've already logged a call with ACCC back in feb with initial cost concerns, I'll definitely follow this up but I'm not sure the small dealership I bought my van from are at fault here. Either way, I'm guessing it will all come back to VW to explain why they aren't honoring this case when they have already done so on many other vehicles...

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    It’s not clear from your posting what engine you have. Is it 2.0TSI or 2.0TDI ?

Regardless of engine type, you certainly shouldn’t have these issues. If it was me, I’d certainly raised it up with the dealer and even VW AU.

I recently purchased my 2010 MY11 Multivan Highline from a family in Bendigo.
    Funnily enough, car was getting its major service at Poysner Motors the week before I was going to go look at it!!!! Hows that for coincidence.....
    Anyway, i commute 170km per day for work, and I'm currently using about 2L per 1000km. Took the oil filler cap off the other day while it was running, and there seemed to be a lot of blow by, so I'm very nervous. My mechanic will be looking at it next week, so we shall see.....

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    ...good luck with your investigation. I'm still trying to get my head around what the difference is between the aforementioned CFCA engine and the CFC engine, which I have on my van. its shown the same type of wear/damage on cylinder walls and my oil use has been thru the roof.

can anyone shed some light on the difference between having that 'A' on that engine code...?

Quote Originally Posted by Lafijam View Post
    I recently purchased my 2010 MY11 Multivan Highline from a family in Bendigo.
    Funnily enough, car was getting its major service at Poysner Motors the week before I was going to go look at it!!!! Hows that for coincidence.....
    Anyway, i commute 170km per day for work, and I'm currently using about 2L per 1000km. Took the oil filler cap off the other day while it was running, and there seemed to be a lot of blow by, so I'm very nervous. My mechanic will be looking at it next week, so we shall see.....

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aSimpleLife View Post
    I have a 2010 T5.2 single turbo and I've just been talking to a blanker and according to him (of course) blanking the EGR will not cause any problems. It will only increase power and engine life. All for the same price as replacing the EGR. Doing it just with the tune means they close the valve to the EGR (no blanking plates). This is also harder to detect. I could also blank the DPF with the same tune but would need to spend an extra $750 plus fitting for a DPF delete pipe. Apparently not all blankers are created equal...so DYOR
    Hi,did you look at removing the insides of the DPF , by cutting the metal casing that holds the DPF , removing the DPF guts , and then rewelding the cut area , so the DPF housing looks original?’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

2010 4 motion

Hi mate
    Did you ever get assistance from VW? I have same problem....

Quote Originally Posted by hoddy View Post
    Hi everyone. Just wanted to inform everyone of the issues that I'm currently dealing with, and others around the globe are also having.
    I own a 2010 T5.1 Tarnsporter 4motion LWB, BiTurbo. Has been losing oil for about a year now.
    And I'm talking serious oil - prob put 30-40 litres oil over that time!
    VW dealer cannot find source of this loss and I have commenced a 1000km oil consumption test.
    The dealer basically said that if it uses more than 0.5 Litres per 1000km, then a new engine is required!
    Am out of warranty, the vans only done 135,000km. Not sure if VW Australia would cover this cost.

It seems to be happening to models from 2010 on.

The fault - Piston ring failure I think...

VW have issued a TPI number 2039830/5
    In summary the TPI says;
    Excessive oil consumption = worn cylinder walls = Replace base Engine, Cat, DPF, Lambda probe, new software.

Lots of info here: TPI 2039830/5 - CFCA engine oil consumption too high | VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

and here: Oil Comsumption / Engine Problems with 2010/2011 Cali's | VW California Owners Club

And a dedicated Facebook group: VW T5.1 / T6 excessive oil use for CFCA 2.0 180hp engines.

Will update results of my consumption test, and outcome of any dealings with VW.

Cheers

New Van.

Hi all,

This is not the best thread to be posting on as a new member but here I am.

I am 3 months into multivan ownership and we are super happy with the experience of owning the van.

Unfortunately when looking for a van I actively sought out a Bi turbo version as I wanted more power. I purchased of a wholesaler at the right price and even had the dual mass clutch replaced as part of the deal. After driving the van home 800km I discovered oil in the engine bay due to a hose being left loose. I now wonder if this was a deliberate dequoy to stop me from discovering the more serious oil loss issue within the 30 warranty period. The van is outside the limits of the mandatory 3 month warranty.

Its a 2010 Bi Turbo multivan comfortline and has used 5L of oil in 8000km.

It has the following EGR plate. A version D with 2020 on it leading me to believe it was replaced too late, obviously the damage has been done and the previous owner has spent some money trying to rectify the issue.

VW T5.1 excessive oil use-egrd-jpg

I plan to contact the last service centre who worked on the van to see if I can get any information about what work has been done and any test results they may have on file.

I have been in contact with one of the posters on this thread who has given me some great information about getting his engine replaced by VW despite being the second owner.

I have it booked in for a service with VW in a few days and will be requesting a compression test as well as the 1000km oil test as well.

Given the EGR has been replaced I'm not sure if the oil quality test will show up as many contaminants if it still had the A version I believe came in the 2010 models.

My hope at this point is that we may be able to get the engine replaced as some have managed to do. Otherwise I am not sure what I will do.

At this point I am thankful that I at least know where I stand and have avoided the trap of spending more money on a vehicle that is fundamentally broken.

I have joined the facebook group that is linked in this thread and have just started wading through the information on there for anything Australian specific and otherwise relevant to my situation.

Has anyone had any luck with having an engine replaced?

Does anyone have any other evidence that I can use to present my case to the dealer and VW.

Any other information that will help me out in this position.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Will

Hi MrSpry,
    I’d be thinking about sending the van back to where u bought it from and get your money back if possible.
    Would also be good to see who replaced the EGR in 2020/2021 - maybe it had high oil use at that stage, and whoever sold it knew about the issue.
    Otherwise you’re up for 10k for new engine, 13k fitted.
    Unless VW helps out, good luck.

Whilst not engine related , we had a two year battle with VW over our first T5 transmission failing at only 120k it first played up at 65k but Vw would not open the box at that time . To cut a long story short I sent photo evidence of the fault and sent it directly to Germany , within a few days I got more correspondence from VW Australia still denying responsibility as they had been asked by Germany to look into it . In the end it was the investigation by ABC TV who were investigating VW for engine problems in the Golfs which got a young girl killed in Melbourne that got a response for my problem . They ended up paying 50% of the $8500 repair cost as they claimed it was a "goodwill gesture " You have to try and get as much evidence from other owners whose VW,s have also failed and then hit up the TV networks to see if they will help . I was probably lucky that VW were being hauled over the coals at the time with the engine problem in the Golfs and the help by the ABC after they saw my multiple complaints on VW Australias Facebook page got me a result .

Hi all,
    I just got the results of an oil consumption test back and it came in at .68L per 1000km. That is not as bad as others have had but it is still over the limit for VW.

I'm wondering what to do.

Does the oil use contribute to faster engine wear?

Will the engine be producing less power?

Is it worth looking into getting the engine replaced or should I wait until things get worse and then fork out the 13K

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast