Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 263

Thread: VW T5.1 excessive oil use

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Adelaide hills, SA
    Posts
    9,708
    Users Country Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by hoddy View Post
    That may be the case in general. But regarding the T5.1 years 2010 & 2011, it would appear that despite servicing according to the schedule, a defective engine is still a defective engine.
    Do you have the service book for your van with the record of services done?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Torquay
    Posts
    100
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Do you have the service book for your van with the record of services done?
    Yes, all serviced at VW dealer.
    First at 16,000, then every 15k.
    Including DSG oil at 60 & 120km as requested by me.

    Should I have changed oil every 10,000 km? I would have if it was required.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    455
    Users Country Flag
    I'd personally change it at 10,000km, just as i'll change the oil out after the first 1500km. its just something that i believe in, and oil is cheaper than an engine rebuild.

    I don't believe in long life oil, as it does appear to be thinner..

    I do agree with using the correct oil spec, i did notice, people using 507 oil instead of 504 oil were having cam wearing issues (if i can recall it right) as the 507 didn't have an additive.

    Whether it makes a difference in by changing the oil early at all, i don't really know if it would help in this instance.

    If it is a flaw in the engine design, oil change wouldn't have made a huge difference..

    The key is finding out what was done to the later engines to resolve this issue, as then under your AUS rights, you can proof it wasn't fit for use, hence the redesign.

    Hopefully you can get VWA to the table to pay for most of it... i wouldn't expect them to pay 100%, but getting of with 70% would help.

    Keep us informed, with your research..

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Adelaide hills, SA
    Posts
    9,708
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by hoddy View Post
    Yes, all serviced at VW dealer.
    First at 16,000, then every 15k.
    Including DSG oil at 60 & 120km as requested by me.

    Should I have changed oil every 10,000 km? I would have if it was required.
    If you drive under severe driving conditions, then yes. Changing oil every 7,500km or 6 months suits to most people, IMO.

    Haven't said that, since you and others didn't have an excessive oil consumption right from the start and it only become a problem later, I'd say that the engine is prematurely worn out as a result of incorrect service regime.

    It's the vehicle owner responsibility to service more often if you drive under severe driving conditions.
    Last edited by Transporter; 07-02-2017 at 02:17 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Adelaide hills, SA
    Posts
    9,708
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn23 View Post
    I'd personally change it at 10,000km, just as i'll change the oil out after the first 1500km. its just something that i believe in, and oil is cheaper than an engine rebuild.

    I don't believe in long life oil, as it does appear to be thinner..

    I do agree with using the correct oil spec, i did notice, people using 507 oil instead of 504 oil were having cam wearing issues (if i can recall it right) as the 507 didn't have an additive.

    Whether it makes a difference in by changing the oil early at all, i don't really know if it would help in this instance.

    If it is a flaw in the engine design, oil change wouldn't have made a huge difference..

    The key is finding out what was done to the later engines to resolve this issue, as then under your AUS rights, you can proof it wasn't fit for use, hence the redesign.

    Hopefully you can get VWA to the table to pay for most of it... i wouldn't expect them to pay 100%, but getting of with 70% would help.

    Keep us informed, with your research..
    It was the 5 cylinder R5 engine AXD and AXE and only up to 7/2006 that had the excessive valve train wear if some smart alek used different than VW506.01 oil in them.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    455
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    It was the 5 cylinder R5 engine AXD and AXE and only up to 7/2006 that had the excessive valve train wear if some smart alek used different than VW506.01 oil in them.
    It's good to clear that up, I'd read somewhere that people were having issues with using 507, when they should have been using VW 506.1 " for some reason i had 504 in my head"

    My point was that, if the an oil is spec'd, you should use it as it can cause issues later on, such as what happened with the AXD and AXE engine.

    From reading about this issue in the last few hours from overseas, what has come up is a common theme, is it does appear there are long periods between servicing. "not all of them"

    Most people, don't take into account "Severe Conditions" heat is defiantly one of them, as is carrying heavy loads, as is stop and start city driving, which is what most people buy the van for and we are a in a hot climate.

    The longer servicing periods were to reduce the downtime of servicing for the commercial side of things, but i don't think its a great idea for VWA to allow long servicing periods here. it's misleading to a point as it varies, case by case.

    I know that the Honda servicing has changed on our Honda to 6 months instead of 12 months, i was told due to Australia's heat.. but whether that is the real truth or just a way to make extra $$$ from servicing.

    But its still worth asking the question is what was changed after the 2011 model in the engine, if it was a design flaw that increased advanced damage by longer servicing periods, then these guys should have a case.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Torquay
    Posts
    100
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I'd say that the engine is prematurely worn out as a result of incorrect service regime.
    With respect, I do think you are missing the point. VW changed something after 2011/12 to prevent this happening again.
    Don't you think that piston ring failure and EGR corrosion are more synonymous with defects rather than service regime?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sydney/Canberra
    Posts
    5,521
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn23 View Post
    I'd personally change it at 10,000km, just as i'll change the oil out after the first 1500km. its just something that i believe in, and oil is cheaper than an engine rebuild.

    I don't believe in long life oil, as it does appear to be thinner..

    I do agree with using the correct oil spec, i did notice, people using 507 oil instead of 504 oil were having cam wearing issues (if i can recall it right) as the 507 didn't have an additive.

    Whether it makes a difference in by changing the oil early at all, i don't really know if it would help in this instance.

    If it is a flaw in the engine design, oil change wouldn't have made a huge difference..

    The key is finding out what was done to the later engines to resolve this issue, as then under your AUS rights, you can proof it wasn't fit for use, hence the redesign.

    Hopefully you can get VWA to the table to pay for most of it... i wouldn't expect them to pay 100%, but getting of with 70% would help.

    Keep us informed, with your research..
    It's a dual-spec oil. You can't buy just a 504 or 507. 504/507 only.

    FWIW, the 504/507 is rated for up to 30K drain intervals, but I would strongly advise against that. 15K/12 months whichever comes first, as an absolute maximum. There is no approved alternative oil for these at this stage.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    455
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    It's a dual-spec oil. You can't buy just a 504 or 507. 504/507 only.

    FWIW, the 504/507 is rated for up to 30K drain intervals, but I would strongly advise against that. 15K/12 months whichever comes first, as an absolute maximum. There is no approved alternative oil for these at this stage.
    Well there you go, I learnt something new today, i wasn't aware it was a Dual Spec Oil, Transporter pointed out it was a 506.1 Spec oil that was causing issues with the AKD and AXE due to using it instead.

    As for the 30k drain intervals for 504/507, Wow, having said that they must be confident in the Oil.

    I still maintain that fresh oil is cheaper than repairing a Diesel, although servicing costs have certainty crept up over the years.


    Have you seen any of these issues that Hoddy has, or know of what was changed engine wise.

    After seeing how VWA owner were treated after the transmission issues, it's going to be a battle, but one worth fighting for if it is indeed a fault of flaw in the engine design.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Adelaide hills, SA
    Posts
    9,708
    Users Country Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn23 View Post
    It's good to clear that up, I'd read somewhere that people were having issues with using 507, when they should have been using VW 506.1 " for some reason i had 504 in my head"

    My point was that, if the an oil is spec'd, you should use it as it can cause issues later on, such as what happened with the AXD and AXE engine.

    From reading about this issue in the last few hours from overseas, what has come up is a common theme, is it does appear there are long periods between servicing. "not all of them"

    Most people, don't take into account "Severe Conditions" heat is defiantly one of them, as is carrying heavy loads, as is stop and start city driving, which is what most people buy the van for and we are a in a hot climate.

    The longer servicing periods were to reduce the downtime of servicing for the commercial side of things, but i don't think its a great idea for VWA to allow long servicing periods here. it's misleading to a point as it varies, case by case.

    I know that the Honda servicing has changed on our Honda to 6 months instead of 12 months, i was told due to Australia's heat.. but whether that is the real truth or just a way to make extra $$$ from servicing.

    But its still worth asking the question is what was changed after the 2011 model in the engine, if it was a design flaw that increased advanced damage by longer servicing periods, then these guys should have a case.
    You're right on the above.

    I don't like their and the OP's chances at +130,000km and the van now 7 years old.

    Don't get me wrong, I wish them good luck with getting it fixed.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
| |