Support VWWC

Thread: VW Caravelle: Your personal reviews

Users Country Flag

Question VW Caravelle: Your personal reviews

G'day Everyone,

Have been shopping for a while now for a multivan.

Was dropping a mate off to pick up his new car, and I got sucked into looking at a new multivan in the showroom. ( I can't afford a new one, but oh well)

The salesman asked what I wanted to do with the van. I stated that I wanted to have the rear bench seat up the front and then build the classic surf 'bed and drawers' in the rear.

He asked if I had looked at caravelle's.

I really hadn't, and so he showed me one out the back. He stated that they are cheaper and 400 mm longer than the multivan. The seats were way easier to remove it seemed as well.

Now, for those that have owned and do own a caravelle, as well as people that have owned a caravelle and a multivan, what did you like and not like about the caravelle?

Does that extra 400mm make it harder to park? (Wife will be driving it as well)
    If you've done any bed setups, please share with pics and stories/tips!

Thanks for taking time to read!

Users Country Flag
    Hi noob

I owned a 07 Caravelle for four years then a 08 multivan now a 12 multivan

Horses for courses, decided on the lwb when we had a mountain buggy double pram, had to fit six peoples luggage or shopping plus stroller, preferred lwb rather then towing a trailer a roof pod.

My concern was always the lwb bigger chance of getting bumped in parking lots, always searched for suitable spot
    Sold Caravelle when Kids out of stroller
    First thing I noticed was the ‘Highline’ far superior handling and less road noise, admittedly this was 2,5 T5, things might be different now T6
    In the country longer wheelbase no big deal, definitely more practical, lwb was more bus like and the multivan is more car like to drive
    Highline options was not available in Caravelle back then, now you can buy 450 Executive if you’re rich !
    If you buy 180hp get the egr issue sorted and if you buy second hand do oil consumption test before you buy !
    Cheers

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Kombi-
    The EGR issue, this is new to me! Is there a thread dedicated to this issue that I can read up on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t like the Caravelle due to the fixed seat system
    The flexibility of a multivan seat rail system is amazing
    Change on the go pick up something and move while your at the shops
    I would of taken the LWB multi a few years ago but my kids are grown up now and have opted just to get another swb

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag
    Twin turbo 180 hp 2l cfca engine internal egr oil coolers breaks down sending metal fragments via charged air into engine causing cilinder scourging and excessieve oil consumption, if detected to late no remedy but engine replacement
    Last edited by Kombi; 02-12-2018 at 07:23 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by VWnoob View Post
    G'day Everyone,

Have been shopping for a while now for a multivan.

Was dropping a mate off to pick up his new car, and I got sucked into looking at a new multivan in the showroom. ( I can't afford a new one, but oh well)

The salesman asked what I wanted to do with the van. I stated that I wanted to have the rear bench seat up the front and then build the classic surf 'bed and drawers' in the rear.

He asked if I had looked at caravelle's.

I really hadn't, and so he showed me one out the back. He stated that they are cheaper and 400 mm longer than the multivan. The seats were way easier to remove it seemed as well.

Now, for those that have owned and do own a caravelle, as well as people that have owned a caravelle and a multivan, what did you like and not like about the caravelle?

Does that extra 400mm make it harder to park? (Wife will be driving it as well)
    If you've done any bed setups, please share with pics and stories/tips!

Thanks for taking time to read!
    G day

Mark here at VanEssa mobilcamping (forum sponsor)

As per some.of the comments already horses for courses - I have spent a lot of time in both T6 Caravelle and T6 Multivan last couple of years. Both have pros and cons and happy to chat - will come down to whether you require longer wheelbase. Both are very refined and quiet these days and both are using the single turbo TDI340

Here are a few videos I have made

Multivan, Caravelle & Transporter T5 & T6 Volkswagen Campervan — VanEssa Mobilcamping Australia

Videos show difference in how Multivan rear seat forms part of the sleeping solution whereas Caravelle seats do not.

I have also made a very boring video on the seat configurations of the Caravelle amongst others here

YouTube

Shows all Caravelle possible configurations - note only 3 and 8 seat combinations are impossible. In Caravelle you can have 2,4,5,6,7 and 9 seat combinations

Hope this helps

Cheers
    Mark

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks vwBug and Kombi! Will keep that in mind.

Mark, I literally watched your video on the 9 adults fitting in the Caravelle! Nice work!

To be honest, the reason I’m now keen on the Caravelle is purely the cheaper price (second hand doesn’t seem a lot cheaper than multi van tho) and I like that I’d have more room for my bed and drawers system than in the multi van.

Sliding seats doesn’t worry me too much, as I’d be taking all but the rear bench seat out. (Putting it as far forward as I can) and then all I want is to be able to fold it on itself to make part of the bed.

The Caravelle looks so much longer, amazing how much 400mm difference makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kombi View Post
    My concern was always the lwb bigger chance of getting bumped in parking lots, always searched for suitable spot
    My first camper was a LWB T4. It was fine for driving down the road but naturally the turning circle was larger so more 3 point turns rather than a U turn. Parking in carparks would take a couple of movements if not on an angle, to square the van up.
    My current van is SWB & is easier & more pleasant to drive.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Users Country Flag

If you're going to option it, have a look at the LWB Multivan. We bought one of these after the Caravelle with the upgraded stereo, wheels and a few other options worked out more expensive than the LWB Multi.

We took all the seats (and table) out of the back of ours the day we brought it home and stored them wrapped in garbage bags.

LWB isn't really that hard to drive/park, you just need to have your wits about you and use the reverse camera to your advantage.