Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW 6.1 California off road capability

Users Country Flag

VW 6.1 California off road capability

Hey all,

Apologies if this topic has been discussed on another threat (I had a look and couldn't find a discussion on this anywhere, so please redirect me if I've missed it)

So...I have recently migrated to Australia (WA) from the UK and I'm keen to hit the rural roads to experience the great outback and the amazing scenic sites (Gibb River Road, Karijini etc) that are on offer here.

I have previously owned a VW California T6 Ocean (kombi as its known in Australia) and absolutely loved it and it met all my camping needs. I was super excited when the California 6.1 Beach was made available here this year. The spec I was looking at purchasing included 4motion + rear diff lock. I have zero experience in driving in the outback (previously only travelled the UK in the T6, so only know the campers mild off road capabilities on country roads/mud tracks/snow).

I was hoping peeps on this forum may be able to offer there insight and knowledge on how capable the Cali is going off road/unsealed roads/beach camping in Australia i.e. dealing with corrugation, some small river crossing, and driving on sand. I love wild camping and from my experience (limited to the UK) the California is amazing and has given me and the family many amazing memories. However my concern is the California may be unfit for purpose here (i was close to putting an order in and was put off by colleagues and friends who felt the California is designed for European roads and not up to deal with the harsh terrain here). I'd love to prove them wrong!

I know there is the Trakka conversion company that kit the van for "off road" capabilities with the Seikel off road kit (suspension, underbody armour and shift the various air intakes to the engine bay for approx 500mm wading), I would love to hear from those with this kit and whether its good enough for the roads here. I appreciate the California is new here but its based on the Transporter, so I'd very much appreciate if anyone has taken one of these bad boys (T6.1 conversion included) to remote areas in Australia and if they faced any challenges. The alternative looks like the Prado, but I'm not too keen on the look of them (too boxy and boring) and definitely lack any cool factor but I'm willing to compromise if need be. Apologies in advance to those who own a Prado!

Thanks guys

I have a 2006 auto 2WD kombi beach bought here before VW stopped importing them.

I will only talk about rough and dusty roads because 2WD can get bogged in sand. We have travelled to the tip of Cape York and back and some of the corrugations will shake the fillings out of your teeth. The beach did it easily and suffered no structural damage. It is well sealed for dust and I put the dash fan on three to slightly pressurize the cabin to keep it out.

If you factor in 4WD for loose sand conditions then I am sure you will be able to go almost anywhere in Australia where a standard 4WD without super low ratios can go.

There are others here with 4motion models that are not california campers that will be able to tell you how the 4WD performs.

Have had my 2WD T6 on some corrugated roads a few times & it felt like my van was being shaken to pieces unless i went under 10 kph. It was completely unladen though, i reckon if i had some weight on board the suspension would have dealt with it better.
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Users Country Flag
    I have a 2008 T5 TDI 2.5 6 Speed 4Motion.
    I few years ago did a trip from Noosa North Shore to Double Island Point at high tide, over 40km on the soft sand with no probs at all. Need to turn traction control off on the soft stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VW 6.1 California off road capability-20161002_082207x1600-jpg   VW 6.1 California off road capability-20161002_070529x1600-jpg  

Last edited by T54Motion; 30-08-2021 at 10:54 AM.

Users Country Flag
    In 2019 we drove our 4 motion T5 from Longreach to Boulia to Alice Springs then up the Tanami to Broome. The stretch from Boulia to Alice (Donohue Hwy ~ Plenty Hwy) was unbelievably bad, but if the right speed was reached, about 75Kph for us, the corrugations were bearable. The noise was the hardest thing to deal with, the van reverberated with a roar that one had to shout over to be heard.
    It was a long trip that pretty much shredded the tyres (235 65 17R Pirelli), bent 2 steel rims and cracked the windscreen. we thought we got off lightly, but it put us off the original plan of going up the Gibb River Rd, we had had enough by that stage.

We have also taken this van to Fraser Island during hot weather when the sand was really dry and deep, along the beach it was fine, trying to go inland the van sank like a stone. Needless to say we had to be dragged out.

We have never driven the 2WD so cannot compare to the 4 motion, we do think though that it helped on some of the really bad corrugated roads that were so windy that it was difficult to get up to the "sweet spot" speed. One time on the Bungle Bungles "road" the rear of the van starting skipping and coming around to meet me in the front, that was scary and maybe I am deluding myself but the van straightened up and kept going thanks to some drive from the rear wheels.
    So, we will never go on dry sand but have no problem with really rough roads....except for the noise
    Cheers

While not having a 4wd drive model we have found VW,s 2WD Traction control very clever to get us out of some very slippery muddy conditions , many years ago while camping and moto Cross riding out past Gatton Qld at Black Duck Valley { blacksoil country } we woke up after a night of pouring rain and had to leave early to get home. There were two gullies we had to traverse to get out of the park , with a trailer full of 3 bikes camping gear and the van with 4 people and more gear we set off . The first gully we went down the hill and when I was going up hill I felt the back of the van step out sideways, suddenly the traction control light started flashing and the van dropped power and started to crawl up the hill with my foot still planted to the floor . Same thing happened on the second gully and as we pulled up outside the office the owner came over and said he was amazed as the front wheels were spinning one after the other from side to side and thats how we made it up each time . Then a couple of years back at another Moto Park Gap Creek Moto out over Cunninghams Gap almost same thing happened again , we watched as lots of 4 wds some with trailers and some without drove like hell along the access road with some hillarious results sliding from side to side then backing up to realign themselves with the road .
    One idiot in a Commodore Ute tried to use brute force with his V8 to get along the road and ended up missing a turn and slipped down the embankment . We decided to give it a go as by then the owners of the park had bought down a little red tractor [not kidding it was red ] and proceeded to tow others along the road . When our turn came we took off and like the previous time the traction control kept us in line and moving forward again with full trailer and gear etc . As we passed by the amenities block where the road was then gravel-based to the exit there was a group of other cars and owners watching the mayhem . I slowed down and rolled the window down and yelled " VW,s rule " and drove off we had a good laugh as there were a few jaws hanging low in the onlookers that day .

Hi ND

Interesting question for me. We've ordered a campervan through Skyline Gosford NSW (they have a branch in Ascot WA). Run by ex UK VW van builders. Might be worth a visit.

Originally we ordered the 6.1 with 4 motion and diff locks only. After watching the plethora of you-tube videos on people doing laps we have asked the company to put on underbody protection and lift kit as well A/T tyres and off road wheel upgrade. This is not with the intention of doing any hard core or even challenging 4WDing (no Big Red. no Old telegraph track) but to give us flexibility to drive through the odd water crossing and/or deep sand.

Like you however, I'm concerned as to whether the vehicle can handle extended period of highly corrugated roads such as the Peninsular Development Road to the tip, the Oodnadatta Track or the GRR. Hoping the Seikel kit will offer a bit more H/D. I guess we'll just have to make the judgement at the time.

The other issue is waiting period. Ordered in June and not expected till April. I reckon it will be closer to June given the "chip" shortage.

PM me if you want to chat further.

Users Country Flag
    If you are on Facebook join this group and search out Jack Raven. He has done exactly what you would like to do already and is about to head off for “a lap” again.

VW Transporter & Caddy Club Australia

PS: answer the questions as it makes it easier to approve you. ��
    Last edited by Markee; 18-09-2021 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks Markee. Sounds like a great resource. I've avoided FB (up to this point) but OH is on there so will check it out.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

hey all,

Thank you for all your replies, apologies for the late reply, but I've been away from tech so only how got a chance to read all your responses.

really helpful to get feedback from you all on the capabilities on the aussie roads, great pics T54motion and thanks for the facebook link Markee.

Sound advice GOM1952 I'll try pop down and see what skyline have to offer. i have seen their web page online. i'll defo love to hear from your rig when it arrives....hopefully not too long. GOM1952 can i ask why you went with a conversion as apposed to the new beach version, I'm going to assume its because you wanted the kitchen inside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast