Thread: Vehicle cranks wont start and smoke from back of engine

Users Country Flag

Vehicle cranks wont start and smoke from back of engine

2008 T5 2.5 BPC manual

Hi everyone, I have had a good look through and have done the old Google search. The issue im currently facing is with starting the engine.

the van has sat for a good 1.5 years (before it sat the car was starting to get a little noisey). I managed to get it started, but when moving driving had low oil pressure warning light and limp mode. I pulled the sump out (that was fun) and cleaned out a good few years of grime and obvious moisture in the oil. cleaned out the oil pump lift tube which was blocked, reinstalled the sump with new liquid gasket, replace the oil filter and filled the engine up with 5/40 oil 5.8L.

Ran the engine to circulate oil. then removed the filter to check if the oil has been circulating. the filter was full of new oil (win!). replaced the filter and let it run for a few mins, the engine sounded much better

Now i take the car for a test drive, runs good 1st gear, second gear, ok now kinda sluggish. go around the corner run through the gears again. lets give it a little bit. 1st gear normal, second gear nothing car starts to stutter then shuts off.

Now when you crank the engine over, it sounds like it an engine that isnt getting fuel, after a few cranks it wants to start but doesnt.

additionally when trying to crank over there is a lot of whitish smoke coming from the back of the engine.

Im assuming exhaust smoke, which is leading me to thing there is a leak before the turbo.

has anyone had a similar experience? i know they manifolds are prone to crack, could this also prevent the engine from running?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Going to tow the van on monday to our VW dealer. Hopefully we will be able to get an indication of what the issue is