Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Unicorn T5 Caravelle 3.2 V6 4Motion!

Users Country Flag

The Unicorn T5 Caravelle 3.2 V6 4Motion!

Hi Everyone,
    After some research today I was shocked to learn of the existence of a T5 Caravelle with a similar drivetrain to the the R32 being a 3.2 VR6 with AWD. How hard are these to track down and how much would they be selling for? From what I can tell they are pretty rare but would love to find out more about them.
    Cheers! 👍🏼

Users Country Flag
    They are very rare. I own one with the ‘Executive’ package and factory sports suspension, which were other options. They weren’t Caravelles, but Multivan Highlines. VanEssa in Sydney shot a short video of mine for their website .
    it still frustrates me that VW won’t put their 3.0L 6cl diesel in a 2.4 tonne Multivan (without passengers). The 4cl diesel struggles with the weight, and I haven’t heard good stories from mechanics about its longevity, hence still holding onto mine.
    Last edited by Lord Byron; 25-12-2020 at 04:39 PM.

It is mentioned in the footage that the rear seats are special with the levers at the back and draws at the front. If these seats are taken out and rotated and put back in on the tracks and seats cushions are then swiveled with the draws at the back and levers at the front, these would be the same as other captains chairs?

PS very nice indeed.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Byron View Post
    They are very rare. I own one with the ‘Executive’ package and factory sports suspension, which were other options. They weren’t Caravelles, but Multivan Highlines. VanEssa in Sydney shot a short video of mine for their website .
    it still frustrates me that VW won’t put their 3.0L 6cl diesel in a 2.4 tonne Multivan (without passengers). The 4cl diesel struggles with the weight, and I haven’t heard good stories from mechanics about its longevity, hence still holding onto mine.
    As said a thousand times before on here, the 3.0 TDI V6 won't physically fit. It's pretty much twice the width of the VR6 motor.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Caravelle View Post
    It is mentioned in the footage that the rear seats are special with the levers at the back and draws at the front. If these seats are taken out and rotated and put back in on the tracks and seats cushions are then swiveled with the draws at the back and levers at the front, these would be the same as other captains chairs?

No. The rear captains chairs of the ‘executive’ are not the standard captains chairs in the 2nd row. They are fixed and do not have the rotate function on the base, like the standard rear bench seat. You can’t rotate the bases of any of the seats because the front feet are different to the back feet and therefore can’t be reinstalled onto the tracks the wrong way round.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    As said a thousand times before on here, the 3.0 TDI V6 won't physically fit. It's pretty much twice the width of the VR6 motor.

Bugger! I haven’t seen any info about the size difference. The T6 would have been the perfect opportunity to make it fit.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Caravelle View Post
    PS very nice indeed.
    Thanks. It is my favourite to date.

Thanks. I should have noticed there was no rotate lever on the rear chairs like the middle chairs. And it makes sense no one is likely to want face rear ward to the tail gate. I founding it confusing with the slide lever being at the back of the rear chairs and the draws at the front.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Byron View Post
    Bugger! I haven’t seen any info about the size difference. The T6 would have been the perfect opportunity to make it fit.
    No chance. It's the same bodyshell as the T5.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast