Support VWWC

Thread: Understanding healthy battery voltages

Users Country Flag

Understanding healthy battery voltages

Hi folks,
    I recently bought a 2016 Transporter, and I'm trying to work out if the main battery in it is unhealthy or not.
    I thought I knew a fair bit about lead-acid batteries, but the VW systems (regenerative charging etc) have me unsure.

What I'd like to know is:
    What voltages should I be seeing on the Varta AGM batteries, in typical use?

In my case, if I charge the battery and then check the voltage after a few hours, I see 12.6V. (I thought this should be 12.8?)
    If I go for a few drives, then after a drive which should have charged the battery, I'm seeing 12.39V. (I thought this should be 12.6 or 12.8?)

Are these values expected, or is my battery on the way out?

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by wintrmute View Post
    Hi folks,
    I recently bought a 2016 Transporter, and I'm trying to work out if the main battery in it is unhealthy or not.
    I thought I knew a fair bit about lead-acid batteries, but the VW systems (regenerative charging etc) have me unsure.

What I'd like to know is:
    What voltages should I be seeing on the Varta AGM batteries, in typical use?

In my case, if I charge the battery and then check the voltage after a few hours, I see 12.6V. (I thought this should be 12.8?)
    If I go for a few drives, then after a drive which should have charged the battery, I'm seeing 12.39V. (I thought this should be 12.6 or 12.8?)

Are these values expected, or is my battery on the way out?

Cheers
    Only real way is to do a load test on it Batteries can show as being fine on a static float test but when u load them up the arse falls out of them if they are dieing
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

If you have a multimeter you can easily load test it yourself, read the voltage direct on the battery terminals and have someone crank/start the engine. If the voltage drops to below 9volts the battery is no good.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk