Thread: Tyres rubbing

Tyres rubbing

Just got my new T5 and the previous owner has Bridgestone Dueler AT's fitted and when you go hard lock the tyre rubs on the inside of the wheel arc. The tyre size is 265/65/17. I understand the stock size is 235/55. Is the problem that they are too high or too wide?? They are ready for a change so I'm looking at dropping to a 245/70 in the hope the narrow tyre will not rub. The car has been raised, but only on blocks.

Users Country Flag
    Different T5 models have different sizes maybe?
    eg - my 2012 model uses 215/65R/16C tyres.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicprObe View Post
    Different T5 models have different sizes maybe?
    eg - my 2012 model uses 215/65R/16C tyres.

That makes sense. Mine is also a 2012. The rims are VW, so the 17" rim size isn't the problem.

Does anyone with a 2012 T5 4motion LWB run 245 tyres?

Users Country Flag
    What do you mean "raised on blocks"

The OEM size tyres should be on the tyre pressure decal which is usually on the fuel flap. You need to work off that.

The first thing I'd be checking is speedometer accuracy as a 90mm difference in diameter is huge.

You might also look at what your state's rules are in terms of changes in tyre diameter as I'm thinking you've exceeded the allowable variation.

Depending on how the speedometer is reading, I'd be looking at what the most popular size (ie: cheapest) but 235/65r17 looks like the sweet spot

This site may help
    Tire Size Comparison
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by lance5525 View Post
    Is the problem that they are too high or too wide??
    To try to answer your question it could be a combination of both, it's hard to say which one alone might be causing the issue without trying tyres different in only height or width. Anything making the tyre bigger is possibly going to cause it to rub on full lock.

The tyres you have on it now are around 30mm wider and 43mm taller (in radius, 86mm overall height).

245/70 won't be that much different in height.

Tire Size Comparison (I just noticed this link is also in the post above)

Edit: It could also be due to wheel offset if your wheels aren't the same offset as T5 wheels.
    Last edited by TonyMax; 19-12-2018 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post

The OEM size tyres should be on the tyre pressure decal which is usually on the fuel flap. You need to work off that.

The first thing I'd be checking is speedometer accuracy as a 90mm difference in diameter is huge.

You might also look at what your state's rules are in terms of changes in tyre diameter as I'm thinking you've exceeded the allowable variation.

Depending on how the speedometer is reading, I'd be looking at what the most popular size (ie: cheapest) but 235/65r17 looks like the sweet spot

This site may help
    Tire Size Comparison
    **** sorry for the slow reply. Ok you've helped me massively.

the tyre size comparison site was really good and I realised I was almost 90mm higher than stock as tonymax said. I check the QLD transport website and I am allowed 50mm lift in the suspension and 25mm in the tyre.

"Tyre lift heights are 50% of the tyre diameter, for example a 25mm tyre lift results from a 50mm increase in tyre diameter."

With this calculation, I'm going to go with 225/70/R17 tyres to get the maximum legal lift out of them. This decreases my current ride height by 30mm. But hopefully, the decreased width should help with fuel economy.

QLD TRANSPORT MODIFICATION GUIDE

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post

Funny the speedo is spot on, maybe the last owner had it calibrated to these tyres.

Users Country Flag

Multivan Highline standard 17 & 18”, standard 18” is 255/45, I’ve just fitted 255/55/18 Toyo tyres, only rub on full lock, ride much better but noticeable less overtaking acceleration, 45%=115, 55%=140 profile, I do like the look of bigger rubber