Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyres for the Multivan

Users Country Flag

Tyres for the Multivan

Im currently in need of two front tyres after about 56,000km, the rears still have lots of life left in them because I'm going to say they haven't been rotated.

In any case, I'm currently running Continental Vanco 2's (Which oddly aren't listed as available in 215/65/16c):
    Vanco(R) 2

I can find these though:
    ContiVanContact(R) 100

I've been suggested these two by the local tyre place:

Yokohama BluEarth-Van RY55
    Yokohama

Bridgestone Duravis R611
    Bridgestone Duravis R611 – Bridgestone Tyres

All of them are in the $230 - $260 range.

Mostly I'm thinking of just grabbing two more of the same (assuming I can still get them) unless someone can make a decent argument for something else.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    I’d just match the other 2 tyres already on your van or get exactly the same ones, since they lasted for 56,000km.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I’d just match the other 2 tyres already on your van or get exactly the same ones, since they lasted for 56,000km.
    The rears look like they will do another 20,000+ too... So you're probably right. Just need to confirm I can actually still get them.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Hi Peeps

I am running 18 x 8 TSW rims and need to replace the Bob jane Radars 255/45/18 I got when I put the rims on

At the time I went cheap given I had spent all my money on the rims

The radar tyres lasted 20k which I find unbelievable

Can anyone suggest a set of 18s that are a good balance of durability and cost

Cheers

Snickerty
    Tyres for the Multivan-vw5-1_bm-jpg

Users Country Flag

Tyres for the Multivan

Quote Originally Posted by Snickerty View Post
    replace the Bob Jane Radars 255/45/18 I got when I put the rims on
    Yes I would definitely avoid the Bob Jane branded tyres this time around. Firstly I would check what load rating the tyres need to be on your van and make sure you use this rating or higher to avoid potential issues when you load the van up for a trip.

The 255/45/18 are not a terribly common tyre size (and a more of a performance oriented tyre size so in general they will be soft which gives them good grip but as a tradeoff they dont last terribly long) so there arent a huge amount of choices and prices for decent tyres (eg not Chinese stuff) are generally $250-300+ each although I see the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 is on sale currently for $243 each (as long as you buy 4 tyres) which is a great price and a very good tyre. Also the Kumho Ecsta PS71 is a similar price.

GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC 5 255/45R18 103Y Tyres | Tyresales

KUMHO ECSTA PS71 255/45R18 103Y Tyres | Tyresales

YOKOHAMA BLUEARTH AE51 255/45R18 99W Tyres | Tyresales

Although more expensive, the Falken Azenis FK510 are a very good alternative which I have personally used on my last car. These review very well for a mid level priced tyre. The Falken also has a higher treadwear rating than the Goodyear and kumho so likely it will last longer (higher treadwear means the rubber is more resistent to wearing. Low treadwear = more grippy, sporty tyre. Higher treadwear = harder rubber longer service life but less grip).

FK510 255/45ZR18 103Y | 255/45R18 Tyres for sale

And lastly, you cant go wrong with Continental or Michelin and both of these ones have a special on currently if you buy 4 tyres. The Michelin is more of a comfort tyre so it will likely last longer than most of the others I have linked to.

Continental 255/45R18 Tyres from $345 | JAX Tyres & Auto 1300 367 897

https://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/mi...mi2554518p4stw
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 15-06-2021 at 10:54 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    I'm running Bridgestone PodenzaS007A which is a 103 rated tyre & as I recall, within the acceptable load variances. They seem to be lasting OK, but price is a bit fierce these days, although I got mine on a 4 for 3 deal. I paid $315 a corner back in mid 2018.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Lucas_R
    Excellent info, saves on a bunch of clicking
    Cheers
    Snickerty

I bought the GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC 3 255/45R18 103Y Tyres. I've had them on for 2 1/4 years now & covered 50000 k's. They're just about done now & i will likely be getting them again if available in the near future. Mine were $304 each fitted at the time.
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    A reminder to me to update this thread.

Thanks to COVID and a lack of driving last year this ended up being pushed back to September where I ended up with a full set of four Hankook 215/65Rl6 Vantra LT RA18 109/107R for the bargain of $225 each on a 3 for 4 deal too. No complaints from us, although no real longevity feedback just yet.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Snickerty View Post
    Hi Peeps

I am running 18 x 8 TSW rims and need to replace the Bob jane Radars 255/45/18 I got when I put the rims on

At the time I went cheap given I had spent all my money on the rims

The radar tyres lasted 20k which I find unbelievable

Can anyone suggest a set of 18s that are a good balance of durability and cost

Cheers

Snickerty
    They only lasted 20k because they aren't a light truck / van tyre with the correct load/speed ratings. If you had an accident with those tyres on the vehicle would be deemed unroadworthy and insurance could be denied. Are the new rims the correct load rating or are they light vehicle rims?

Sorry can't help you with solutions, can only say where you have gone wrong.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast